No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue vase with 3 openings, signed "J. Beranek"  (Read 4082 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Blue vase with 3 openings, signed "J. Beranek"
« on: December 10, 2010, 11:13:07 PM »
This nice heavy blue glass vase with three seperate compartments stands 15cm tall, and is signed (engraved) at the bottom "J. Beranek".

A google search found some almost identical vases with the same signature (at ridiculously high prizes by the way), the sellers claiming these to be by Jindra Beranek for Lobmeyr Glass Studio in the 70ies.
I doubt this... I thought it to be Czech when I bought it -- but wouldn't it be unusual than that it is signed?

Can anybody shed a light on this?
Who stands behind the "J."?

Thanks,
Michael

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Blue vase with 3 openings, signed "J. Beranek"
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 02:10:13 AM »
I've got a similar piece but different colours that is attributed to to Emanuel Beranek (following Mark Hill's Hi Sklo Lo Sklo, p. 26). I have seen these in plain colours attributed to other Beraneks, but still Skrdlovice. However, I've never seen one signed like this. And it is odd looking. The little protrusion on top is an anomaly and the colour doesn't look quite right. I'll be interetsed to hear what bOBA and Jindrich say about this one. Is it a copy or an prototype?

David

PS The signature is really unconvincing. I've got a marked Svobodova Skrdlovice piece and the signature is much tidier than this..
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 09:02:03 AM »
The signature is possibly fake.
This piece was designed by Emanuel Beranek in 1959 (pattern 5911) for spring collection of Skloexport 1960.
Two sizes are known 10 and 15 cm height.

J. , however could be
Josef, Jaroslav, Jan, Jindrich (Jindra), Jiri - all Beranek :-)

Only Jindrich (Jindra) signed his pieces not in Skrdlovice but in Austria.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 09:25:41 AM »
Hi I agree with Jindra about this being an Emanuel beranek design. I also recall that I have seen evidence somewhere that Jindrich Beranek, after he left Skrdlovice for permanent living and glassmaking in Austria, may have made these vases in the 1970's for Lobmeyr Austria when he made a lot of hot worked designs for them. I do not know why he reproduced Emanuel's design. I have also seen this exact vase in different colours, signed in the same way by a J. Beranek, which is why I am not so convinced these vases with this signature are fake signatures.... I would expect different Skrldovice designs to be signed J. beranek (as fakes). My conclusion, without direct evidence to hand, is that it is possible that Jindrich Beranek produced and signed these in the 70's...

Robert (bOBA) 

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 09:35:30 AM »
Thanks all!
I remember that I have seen this type of vase in one of the Glasrevue issues.

Here some links to pieces with the same signature (at least one of them dated 1975, and much taller than the sizes Jindrich gave):
http://antiquitaeten-online-shop.de/category.php?id_category=37
http://shop.ebay.de/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=%22j.+beranek%22&_sacat=See-All-Categories
http://www.auctions-fischer.de/catalogues/online-catalogues/193-i-europaeisches-glas-und-studioglas-sowie-die-studioglassammlung-kirchhoff.html?L=1&kategorie=22&artikel=1827&L=1&cHash=6001178586

I wondered why studio glass from the 70ies would look like Czech glass from the 50ies.
By the way, I bought it in a small antique shop in Vienna.
So Lobmeyr is not far away.

Michael

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 09:54:51 AM »
Jindrich (Jindra) Beránek probably reproduced the old designs of his father.
I would like to focus you to next piece that I found at you link

http://cgi.ebay.de/Objekt-Vase-2kg-J-Beranek-Lobmeyr-Glasstudio-1970-/200291339499?pt=Glas_Kristall&hash=item2ea24b4ceb
This is definitely Machovska Mstisov piece, my favourite seller Lena21j lies as usual. I would recoment rather to ignore eBay attributions.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 03:59:25 PM »
Thanks, Jindrich!
I never trust ebay attributions :)

That is the main reason I never buy glass on ebay... (most is much too expensive for me anyway)

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand