No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: New to forum .. question about Beatty rib pattern  (Read 6628 times)

Offline teddyaddict

• Members
New to forum .. question about Beatty rib pattern
« on: January 04, 2006, 12:56:19 AM »
Hello, I am new to this forum and to glass collecting.  I began buying a few pieces of depression glass but became hooked on the opalescent glass when I found a piece of Beatty rib in a tiny blue bowl at a local antique shop.  I recently found out that this pattern is being reproduced.  How can one tell if their piece is a reproduction and who is reproducing this pattern today if anyone knows?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ron

• Members
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 02:58:53 PM »
I'm not all-knowing, but I haven't heard of it being reproduced. Are you sure of your source?

There is a Davidson pattern called Helen Louise that is often confused with Beatty Rib. I once had a piece and thought it was either a rare unlisted piece of Beatty Rib or a reproduction. I was very wrong.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline butchiedog

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 03:27:25 PM »
Hi,

The only Beatty reproduction that I know about is their "Honeycomb" pattern, which has been done by Fenton and called "Waffle\Block"  

Every once in awhile I see it listed on ebay as " Beatty Rib", by a pattern confused seller.

Mike

Offline teddyaddict

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 03:33:49 PM »
Thanks for your reply.  I'm not certain it is being reproduced but saw through one of my searches on a site at http://home.gwi.net/~inventor/attribution.html
a list of patterns with their year of production.  It listed the Beatty rib pattern as being produced by A. J. Beatty and Sons in 1888 and it clearly said "yes" in the column titled currently being reproduced.  I may be misintrepting this information or the site could be mistaken.

Offline butchiedog

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 03:46:01 PM »
Hi again,

Maybe someone has reproduced it, but it's hard to say without knowing who reproduced it.

Internet sites that make statements with no added info to back up their statements up are a dime a dozen. In my own opinion;  a responsible person would have added a column with the names of the reproducers as well.

Also;  that page doesn't even include its authors name, is there a home page that leads to the link you posted?

Mike

Offline butchiedog

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 04:10:22 PM »
teddyaddict,

I back-tracked that link and found it to be someone who is selling a home-made CD. They don't even say who they are and for all anyone knows they could have just scanned and copied a lot of information out of other people's books and burned it to a CD.

http://home.gwi.net/~inventor/

I'm not saying this is a scam or not, just that it's not very professionally done and might be something to steer clear of just in case.

Mike

Offline teddyaddict

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 04:16:57 PM »
Wow you guys are great! :D  I so appreciate your expertise.  Not only am I new to glass collecting but my computer skills are minimal at best.  I feel much better after reading your helpful comments.  Thanks Mike!

Offline Ron

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 05:32:53 PM »
I was looking at that "attribution" list a few weeks ago. It's full of mistakes and misinformation. IMHO.

Offline popsmcchicken

• Members
Opalescent Glass Price Guide
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 02:52:49 PM »
RH.1 and All,

The Web Site you are looking at is "Classical Glass", the Victorian Opalescent Glass Price Gude, by Bill Banks.  He is one of the most knowledgeable authorities in the field.  The full Web Site is available by subscription only and, if I may say so, well worth the price of $19.95.  Not sure of all the "mistakes and misinformation" you cite.  I will admit it is a bit limited on the listings and info for the English glasshouses, but as to the American ones, it is mostly complete and very accurate.  The Guide was, and I believe still is, published in book form which I purchased for many years.  The CD is nice but, obviously, without updates which is included in the on-line subscription.  I think you may want to look at the entire Web Site, not just the "attribution list" before passing too critical of a judgement.  My opinions only, of course, but the Guide has been invaluable to me over the years.
Pops McChicken

Offline butchiedog

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 03:23:30 PM »
Hi popsmcchicken,

Thanks for the information.

It sure would have been nice if Mr. Bill Banks had put his name somewhere on those pages, as well as links to take one to the main page, so that we would be able to know if the site was legitimate and not just some unknown wanna-be pseudo-expert, attempting to rake up a few bucks with a home made CD. I have posted the links elsewhere, asking others about it and everyone agrees that the site appears to be fraudulent.

JMOho;  Surely one who could organize and publish a book, could also put together a more professional looking and easy to use website, especially if they have something useful to sell.

Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand