No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pair of blue vases  (Read 1952 times)

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Pair of blue vases
« on: January 04, 2006, 04:44:14 AM »
These small vases are a lovely blue [IMHO]. They are only 15cm high and 7cm wide.
I think that I have discovered how the surface decoration was done, by marking the glass with a fine metal rod and then the blowing opens up the surface to form these 'channels'.
If I'm wrong please correct me. Any other information about them would be welcome. I have not seen anything quite like them before.
Wishing you all a happy, very glassy New Year.  
Ruth

http://tinypic.com/jpiluq.jpg
http://tinypic.com/jpim35.jpg

Mod: The images from this post have vanished. If you started this thread and you still have the pictures, please let the moderators know so that we can restore them. To add pictures to your posts permanently, the GMB recommends either using the 'attach' facility when posting, or using The Glass Gallery. See the GMB guide to adding pictures to your posts for more.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Pair of blue vases
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 09:57:06 AM »
:D:D:D
Hello Ruth,
The decoration looks like crackle effect, produced by plunging semi-blown hot glass into cold water to get the cracks, which are then "softened" by reheating and a little more blowing. I'm sure a glassmaker can describe this properly - I'm still not feeling too bright!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Pair of blue vases
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 06:47:16 PM »
Thanks Sue. I do hope that you feel better soon. I'm familiar with that technique but these looked to me to be more 'designed' and unlike my crackle glass.
Ruth

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Pair of blue vases
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 05:22:47 PM »
I do think they are crackle, Ruth, which can come in a variety of effects.
In this case blowing after crackling would have made the gaps larger and the satinizing process (whichever one was used) softened the normally sparkly quality of the crackle.
Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Pair of blue vases
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 08:27:35 PM »
Thanks, both, I'm good at being wrong!
Ruth :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia