No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ? Reijmyre Nightjar art glass bird.  (Read 5695 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
? Reijmyre Nightjar art glass bird.
« on: December 12, 2010, 01:24:54 PM »
Would anyone like to help with this bird's identity please?

I thought it might be a nightjar from the shape and colouring,  and wondered if it could be Reijmyre or even possibly a British glass firm....Avondale perhaps?
15cm long,  he is beautifully modelled and has a very finely polished base.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
Re: ? Reijmyre Nightjar art glass bird.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 01:25:58 PM »
Here is a side view as well.
Rosie.

Offline inca

• Members
  • Stockholm, Sweden
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 02:57:26 AM »
Hi,

Very nice!

It looks like Reijmyre to me.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=370
all texts and pictures © Ingela Nyrén

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
Thank you so much Ingela,  I am certain this is the same make as your green one....so my hunch was right!!

I am so pleased,  because so many of my Reijmyre pieces are pressed glass, and this is blown....at least I think it is, am I right?

In all events,  it is beautiful,  and I love your green version as well......now I will be on the lookout for more!
Rosie.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 12:22:19 PM »
and this is blown

If it's solid, no. It's rather difficult blowing a solid lump of glass. It's hot worked by hand. It's a common misuse of the word blown, particularly in respect of solid paperweights.

Did Reijmyre make pressed glass? Everything I've looked (except birds) seems to be blown, mould blown maybe but not pressed.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 01:49:52 PM »
Thank you so much for that, Christine....I am still on a steep learning curve and am always happy to be pointed in the right direction.

So my other pieces are mold blown and this 'nightjar' is hot worked. I think I assumed they were pressed was because they have some mold seams on them.

Does that mean that my Langham glass is Hot worked rather than hand or mouth blown?

Rosie.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 02:15:32 PM »
If they are birds, animals or paperweights they are hot worked unless they are hollow. It has to be hollow to involve any sort of blowing. Hand blown is mouth blown. Think of hot glass like bubble gum. You can squish it into a mould, which will give you seam lines, as you have to open the mould to extract it. You can free blow it. Or you can mouth blow it into a mould, which may or may not give you seams, depending on the shape of the mould. Or you manipulate a gob of glass with tools. (Then of course there is lampworking using glass rods.)

Machine made glass is generally either pressed or mould blown. In pressing, a gob of glass is dropped into a mould, then a shaped plunger shapes the inside of the item. These items also have seams but sometimes there is some hot hand finishing, perhaps to shape the rim. Machine-mould blown items are created from gobs of glass dropped into a mould and shaped using high pressure air jets.

In all items with seams, these may be removed as part of the finishing.

Have a look on you tube, there are lots of videos.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 02:46:30 PM »
Thank you Christine,  what a mine of information you are.......
I will have to go and have a look at all my glass animals now, but I expect most of them are Hot Worked.

Do you think my Reijmyre Nightjar is worth much, I imagine I would not have paid more than £10 for it,  and possibly a lot less?
Rosie.

Offline kisslikeether

• Members
    • 20th Century Scandianvian
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 06:36:56 PM »
Your Langham is hot worked - I've spent many an hour there watching them make it look so easy producing all kinds of animals.
Well worth a visit if you're ever in North Norfolk :)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 06:51:59 PM »
Hi kisslikeether,
thankis for that  :-*.. I am very lucky,  I have 2 Langham Bulls...very rare,  only 11 were ever made,  for an exhibition display, and John Miller has some of them,  so there aren't very many out in circulation.
I also have a white dove,  signed as a sample,  and a beautiful clear glass Dove on a large glass sphere,  signed by Paul Miller.  I started to collect their dogs....2 comical dogs that are signed as samples,  and a black labrador,  unusually with a red tongue hanging out of his mouth!
Perhaps I should show some of them here on the GMB as they are one-offs and therefor quite rare.
I love Langham glass....and have most of the Birds of a Feather set,  all signed by Paul. One day I will go up there and watch them working.
I seem to be in the minority collecting glass animals and birds,  but I have got a large collection of Art Deco glass as well.  :)
Rosie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand