No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Need your help dating this Murano Cenedese Free Form Chick..  (Read 3079 times)

Offline westred

• Members
  • Real Murano ONLY comes from Murano, Italy!
Need your help dating this Murano Cenedese Free Form Chick..
« on: December 14, 2010, 07:43:05 PM »
  Hello all Murano admirers,

Murano Art Glass is probably what I watch out for and probably have the most of.  I have had a very long love affair with Murano blown glass!  Since reading the story of why they moved to the swamp surrounded island and the many generations that the methods and recipes have been passed down too, I sincerely respect and admire the Italian Glass that is produced on that small island!

I am rather new to this board, but have been peeking in every once in a while, and I need help with a time period in which this piece below was made?  If anyone can help, it would be very helpful.

I also would like to know (as I just assumed that it did) if the chipped off end of the beak really brings the value of this piece down?  I just have never seen a piece like this and the glass is so unique, I thought it my still be of some value.  Either way, I am going to keep it!  When I mean the glass is unique, I mean it reacts "kind of like" vasoline glass, by turning from a mid tone aqua color to a brilliant almost cobalt bluish-lilac, when you place it under a black light.  I have a picture of it below.  I hope you can see the beak damage in the image below, if not, I can send another photo?  The very tip is chipped off.

Images follow:
westred......yea, ya betcha!

And God said, "Let the weights hold down the papers!"

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: Need your help dating this Murano Cenedese Free Form Chick..
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 11:49:11 PM »
Well I think he is adorable Westie.....I really do.....it will be interesting to see what the Murano Experts have to say,  but I don't think the chipped beak would stop me wanting to own it.  And, moreover, it has LABELS!!  How cool is that!

I can't help with the date,  but I will be very interested to know more about it....so I will follow this thread. :hi:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 12:17:21 AM »
westred, chipped beaks are pretty serious for birds. The bird design is in the middle range of common -- not too common, but definitely not rare. The chip will have a definite drain on the value. This is especially true since the pull of the tail and bill are the main details of the bird. I've often read to take off 25% for each chip on glass, but IME chips take off far more from what people are willing to pay. I am glad that you are going to keep the bird. I've always thought these were cute.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 01:14:21 AM »
I forgot to say that the bird looks like the late 1960s, but I'm not sure of the date.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline westred

• Members
  • Real Murano ONLY comes from Murano, Italy!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 02:01:21 AM »
Thanks.........This is another example of what I find at the thrift stores here in Fargo!  I suppose I should tell you that it cost me a whopping $5.00!!!!  When I saw it, in amongst the "junk" at this particular thrift store, I knew immediately what is was and snatched it!  As soon as I picked it up, the weight confirmed what I had thought, Murano!  It actually stuck out like a sore thumb to me.  Good thing it was in a dark area of the store.......because if it were in an area where the sun could catch it, I believe someone would have bought it for its beautiful color when hitting the light!  Actually, it kind of fooled me at first, because it kind of looked like a "blob" of glass;  until I picked it up!  Then I almost burst out shouting, as I have always wanted one of these.  They have a beauty all their own, due to the chemical makeup of the glass!  I have seen none like it............

Tex, you are thinking about what I was.....as far as value and date.  No matter, it will always be mine until I pass it down.  Sorry, Rosie!  Maybe if you can trace your family tree to any "Sparrowhawks", I might let it fly your way, upon the departure of this world.  But, for now, I will just keep it in a safe place.  Tex, I know I shouldn't assume, but you are from Texas, correct?  I graduated from Eagle Pass, Texas High!  Right on the Rio Grande..........

I have another Murano bird I'll have to show you.  Rosie, I am sure you will be interested in eying it!  It is the only Murano glass I have that is from a mold.  When I first grabbed it, I thought it was Fenton.  But, it turned out to be Italian magic!
It is a small hummingbird.  And it is bizarre, as I thought Murano only exported and crafted blown glass.   Oh, what the heck.  I will just post an image right now.  I am feeling really down and out today, but, just to hold Rosies anxiety back, I'll post some photos........
By the way, have you ever heard of C.R.E.A. Milane?  I guess, I never have really looked the history of this one up.  In fact I kind of forgot I had it, until I gathered some "easy to locate" glass birds for rosie the posie!!!   :usd: :usd: :usd:

westred......yea, ya betcha!

And God said, "Let the weights hold down the papers!"

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 02:15:26 AM »
I was from TX, Wesred. I lived in San Marcos. Now I'm being held captive in Birmingham, Alabama. If you would like, you can email me the pictures of your birds and your full name and I'll put them in the Murano Zoo. There are two molded birds there. Tami put her picture of a Seguso molded bird that looks almost like Sabino. I put a picture of an Effetre International molded bird in. If these hadn't had labels, I would have never guessed Murano.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 12:33:37 PM »
Wow Westie,  I didn't know that Murano did molded glass either......if it didn't have a label, I don't know where I would put the attribution!! What a lovely colour as well. Thank you for sharing....I love seeing other people's glass.

Sorry you are still feeling rough.....treat yourself to a new piece of glass,  that always cheers me up!!

I will look and see if we have any Sparrowhawks in the family....I don't think so! I am related to Paul McCartney though....we share Auntie Ginnie,  so might that count?? Lots of songwriters and musical people are relatives. I still love the chipped birdie,  and am still working on finding out who made the other one...... :hi:

Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 02:26:43 PM »
And it is bizarre, as I thought Murano only exported and crafted blown glass.

That rules out most  Murano paperweights and many animals and birds. If it's not hollow, it's not blown. It may be handmade, but it's not blown.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 02:50:01 PM »
Many of the animals are made without blowing. They are formed hot from the furnace from a glob of molten glass, using movement and tools to shape. This form of hot working is called massello. Many of the solid structures of Archimede Seguso, Licio Zanetti, Pino Signoretto, and others are made this way.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 03:57:25 PM »
Nice birds, Westred!  Many Murano companies have created their glass from molds.  They are just better at covering up the lines than other companies outside of Murano, IMO.  Another company I can think of that also made a lot of their glass from molds is Cesar Toffolo.  His work is very good and just recently I found out a lot of his pieces are created from molds.  

Anita is right, other companies also make their glass using the massello technique (not to be confused with molds because the glass is much heavier than the blown or molded glass).  This is a very good technique that not too many maestros can accomplish (A maestro must be quick with his/her hands in order to make the technique work and the work has to be free of mistakes or else the whole piece is ruined.  The maestro cannot go back and correct any mistakes to the glass with this technique.)  I have a few pieces that were made using this technique and they are quite impressive to me.  Silvano Signoretto also does the technique.  They say his hands fly when creating his pieces in the massello technique.  He is a true master at it.  I just thought of another maestro in Murano who does this technique.  His name is Andrea Tagliapietra.

tam bam  

P.S. Rosieposie, that is way cool that you are related to Paul McCartney.  I for one love the Beatles.  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand