No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Aventurine, Canes, and ?? Label ?? ID = Murano, AVEM (probable maker)  (Read 4089 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
 :hi: Got this PW.  Not sure exactly if it is old, or not.  Has a label I have not seen before.  It is a round Blue/Silver Foil Label..........Which I am assuming is the import label ??   Any ideas on it?  Year?  Age? Maker?   The Label says on it:

GENUINE VENETIAN - GLASS FROM MURANO
MADE IN ITALY
A DECORA IMPORT

So it this Venetian, and what date would that be.  There seems to be the glue also left on the bottom of a rectangle shaped label that it once had too.  Not sure if that *might* have been related to the Maker of this.....or just the remnants of a Price Tag label from down the road.  Might be a clue....or it might not be....??

If you need some examples for the other canes, let me know, and I can post some of the other canes..... 

Thxs  :X:  I think its pretty..
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Aventurine, Canes, and ?? Label ??
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 08:34:04 AM »
Rose:

This thread might help

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,28013.0.html

It might also make you jump for joy, if what it suggests turns out to be true.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 10:40:35 AM »

I suspect the Decora import company got Murano pieces from various sources. This looks to me like a 1950 - 1970 Fratelli Tosso piece.  I don't think I would jump with joy (unless $10 cheers you up no end... ;D)

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 01:02:39 PM »
$10 sounds like a very bad eBay day for the weight. It is worth more than that, antiquerose. I think it is AVeM, not just from the label, but from the cane that is near the top -- the one with the X in the middle. AVeM does many things that look like Fratelli Toso, so the similarity isn't unusual for them.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 10:07:27 PM »
Hi there:
So most likely AVEM PW?  I wonder about the date (around an age)?  Does the label help with that?  Being a Foil label at all? 

Here is another pic to show you the remnants of another (possible) label that was on it at one time.  The glue could be from a old label (maker) or it could be where a price tag (or info) had been kept on it at one time.  I am tending (leaning towards) that it *was* a maker label there at one time, as when you can see the glue (sticky residue) left on it, and pickup dirt over time.  I am thinking whatever was there, was something that it had on it originally. 

Anyways, that is how I am thinking........so looks like it was a Rectangle shape there......hm-m-m-m, so I wonder ?  :huh:  .

...and $10 does make me happy  :chky: LOL ... but most likely worth more.....lol

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 10:18:47 PM »

The sticky residue could be from a price label, rather than a maker's label.

I would love to see these older Murano weights go for lots, as I have several, including a stunning, large, signed Archimede Seguso 'pink/aventurine' abstract egg.  But my experience recently has not been encouraging.....

Alan.
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 10:34:35 PM »

The sticky residue could be from a price label, rather than a maker's label.

I would love to see these older Murano weights go for lots, as I have several, including a stunning, large, signed Archimede Seguso 'pink/aventurine' abstract egg.  But my experience recently has not been encouraging.....

Alan.

Thanks Alan -- Yeah could be a price label, or could have been a maker's label.  Might never figure that one out.... :spls:

Yes, most likely the Economy, but I think Glass still a Good investment.  As time goes on ( I hope  :X: )  our Glass pieces will retain, and increase over time.  Supply and demand....I guess.

:thup:

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 01:41:42 AM »
I used to buy from Decora Imports back in the early 80's. They always put their own labels on the stuff from Murano. They also handled some Selkirk and John Deacon weights, Deacons stuff was signed STK for St. Kilda Glass. They were based out of Ny City and used to do all the major gift market shows.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 04:20:40 AM »
Thank you very much for the info.

So they added there own labels to items.  Sounds like they handled quality items.   :thup: Good to know.  Thanks all. 

I it. 

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum