No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with Pressed Glass Bowl  (Read 804 times)

Offline mikebonne

• Members
Help with Pressed Glass Bowl
« on: December 16, 2010, 09:58:32 PM »
Hello all and thanks for all your past help.  I would love to know if anyone can identify this huge bowl.  it is a bit like a Cambridge glass float bowl I own but this pattern is deffinitely pressed and not etched and the bowl is huge..42cm.  The pattern is hard to phtograph but there is a hunting scene of Indians on horseback, with bow and arrows and spears and they are chasing big Bisons...  It is very impressive scene but it makes me wonder what would have stood in it?  Most of the European patterns that were made for statues usually had a loose connection with the statue.  I would love to know if anyone knows of its origins.  Thanks again

markus

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
Re: Help with Pressed Glass Bowl
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 09:05:03 AM »
Hello
Ihave this same bowl in uranium green glass.I was told it is made by Cambridge glass USA called Everglades and their large draped lady figure would fit into the middle.
Best wishes Nige
"Ive had a wonderful evening.....unfortunately this wasnt it!"  Groucho Marx

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mikebonne

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 09:21:34 AM »
Thanks Nigel

I was not aware that Cambridge made "pressed" patterns. A strange subject matter for a flower bowl I think but hey..that's what makes this glass collecting so much fun.

best regards  Markus

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 11:50:37 AM »
Hi Markus,
here's another Cambridge pressed - identified as such by lovely GMB:

http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/tafelaufsaetze/08339.html

:fc:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline mikebonne

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 12:03:43 PM »
Ohh that is beautiful....I think I am pleased my bowl is non-etched as I have always preferred pressed glass patterns.  thaks again for all your help.

M

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 04:25:58 PM »
Marcus that is the Cambridge Buffalo bowl from the Everglade line, however its more than that as it looks like is a pale light blue which is Willow blue & when its combined as a clear plus satin finish its known as Mystic Blue. I've seen only two Mystic Blue Buffalo bowls in 38 years & the realistic value is approx $450 USD. Thats a heck of a find. Ken

Offline mikebonne

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 05:26:43 PM »
Hello Ken...wow  my mum will be totally shocked as she gave it to me when she moved from California.  You are correct, it is pale blue and frosted or satin on the underside and clear on the top.  It is staying in my dining room and I will put the great big lady back into it as perhaps she was meant to go but she is slightly darker and always thought it looked a bit wrong and that's why I queried it.  Thanks again.

Markus

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 09:00:36 PM »
Markus if you have time I would like to see the Draped Lady to see what style of base & the color also. I authored a flower frog site for the National Cambride Collectors & just maybe she is an earlier one also. Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand