No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Beaked raspberry vase with bubbles -- Czech? ID = Jirina Zertova for Skrdlovice  (Read 4451 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
This long-beaked glass vase needs ID.
It has a layer with rows of bubbles between a bottom layer of amethyst coloured glass (looks more blueish in the pics than it is actually -- Neodymium?), and an inner layer of raspberry coloured glass.
Stands 29cm tall.

In Dusans gallery (Skrdlovice section) is an identical shaped one in blue-green http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/oGLxTu6Pq-CtVupd8ega9A
He attributes it to Jirina Zertova.

Is he right? Cannot find much info on J. Zertova...
If so -- when was this one designed?

Thanks!
Michael

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: Beaked raspberry vase with bubbles -- Czech?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 04:33:53 PM »
She designed this for production in about 1960 PN6071. There are some pictures of it in the CRGs on Jindras great Czech glass website. I would be interested to know if the bottom portion you consider to be possibly neodymium glass actually changes colour a lot when looked at in daylight or fluorescent light conditions? Although this piece looks neodymium, if so, it would be the only piece of neodymium that Skrdlovice produced to my knowledge... (Dusan attributions can be a bit hit and miss, he is obviously a busy guy and has a lot of interesting- high quality glass).

Robert (bOBA)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 05:07:42 PM »
Hi Robert,
thank you so much for your answer!
So definately by Jirina Zertova for Skrdlovice? -- Nice.
Is this a rare find? (Just curious)

I have looked throught the CGR issues from 1960 yesterday, but haven't remarked this item. Could you tell me in which issue this was published?

The colour: I have put the vase under fluorescent lights, where the colour changed a little -- from amethyst to some sort of greyish-blue amethyst (not like my Neomydium Oiva Toikka pitcher which changes to a bright blue).
But I remarked that on the pics I took with my digital camera the colour change was quite obvious (in reality the bottom has a strong amethyst colour, much closer to the raspberry hue of the top). So only partly Neomydium (if this is possible)? Or my camera is simply crap :)

And yes, Dusan's galleries...

Michael

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 06:53:41 PM »
Skrdlovice ranges often drew together pieces from many different years often with a unified colour to present a unified look to a collection. So, a near identical vase, 6041/30 by J. Zertova, also designed 1959-1960, with near identical patterning and shape (I cannot notice a huge amount of difference) is shown, according to my notes, as having being part of the Georgia range marketed in CGR June 1966. It should be locatable on Jindrich's ceskeslovenskesklo site copies. Year of design and year of marketing are not always closely related things for this factory. I hope this is of some help. The neodymium issue is interesting, it is not something I know much about and it is only this piece from Skrdlovice I had noticed it as a possibility...

Robert (bOBA)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 09:33:08 AM »
Robert, thank you very much for your effort!
The vase looks nearly identical, only the bottom part is much thicker in mine...

Here is the direct link to the CGR 1966/6 page on Jindrich's site: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Hc2ehPnyLzF3Bpiwu445Q97PtwQz1p6DCHxZbxVA69Q

Short translation of the important facts for non-German speakers:
... glass collection with airbubble decoration "Georgia" ... vase Nr. 6041/30 ... (to the collection belongs also vase Nr. 6028/20, not depicted) ...
... designed by Jirina Zertova ... produced at Skrdlovice ...
... colour ranges: dark green/crystal, topaz/green, goldruby/pink/amethyst

The latter would be my colour range I guess.

I think with the Neodymium I was on the wrong track: checked once again, and it really doesn't change colour much under fluorescents; I guess this is an artifact my digital camera produces (makes purple look blueish).

By the way, I am wondering why there is so little information found on the net regarding J. Zertova as a designer for Skrdlovice.

Michael

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 04:53:51 PM »
The colour difference may (have to stress the 'may' bit) be a result of your camera choosing different settings when you take the photos. I have noticed mine do this, sometimes the photos are very blue, it is a result of the camera choosing a different 'white balance' setting. This will change according to light levels (strong sunshine or shade) and the type of light (fluorescent, tungsten, etc). It may be possible for you to choose the settings manually, I do this when photographing with electric light to get more accurate results.

John

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 09:53:10 PM »
John, thank you very much for your suggestions!
I made my photographs using only daylight as a light source, and all colours but purple seem to come true in the pics. So I guess my camera has a problem with this colour (I remember my old digicam had the same problem when I took pics of my purple waterlily in my pond -- flowers looked much bluer than in reality -- which I found quite nice :) )
So I think we better forget the Neodymium thing, sorry, my mistake!

I found another picture of this nice vase by J. Zertova, same shape but different design, in an earlier CGR issue (1962/2) on Jindrich's great site: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/s7zdX6XDvGKAfDZzlpvC-8oC4V78YMM2eDZt_vdD6qk

Michael

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 10:26:28 PM »
Hi,
I am still a little curious why there is so little information on Zertova's designs to be found. (For instance in this forum :))
On Jindrich's website I have seen quite a few beautiful pieces in several CGR issues from the 60ies, and also on the pics from the Škrdlovice exhibition.
Were these pieces not produced in larger quantities or over a long time run like some others? Or just not (yet) widely identified as being designed by her?

Jindrich, Robert, any thoughts?

Thanks,
Michael

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 08:36:24 AM »
Well Michael,
it is mainly my mistake, I had to write more about Jirina Zertova and I will do it at my web site soon.

Jirina Zertova (* 14. 7. 1932) is very charming lady, two pictures from our visit in her atelier last winter.
That young man at picture is our friend bOBA, just a little confirmation that he studies Skrdlovice glass seriously. :-)

It is not task for five minutes to describe Jirina Zertova work and life, give me please some time.

Jindrich
www.cs-sklo.cz

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Thank you so much, Jindrich, especially for the nice pics of Jerina Zertova and Robert!!
I have read what I could find about her on the net, there is quite a lot information about her being a renowned glass artist from the 70ies onwards; that is why I wondered why there is nearly no information on her beautiful designs for Skrdlovice in the 50ies and 60ies...
(Without your fabulous website it would be quite impossible to see any at all!).

And I think this vase is one of my best pieces :)

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand