No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: NEED HELP WITH ID IS THIS FENTON, WHEELING, MT. WASHINGTON???  (Read 3567 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: NEED HELP WITH ID IS THIS FENTON, WHEELING, MT. WASHINGTON???
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 08:11:01 AM »
12 cm with a Pilgrim label...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 03:07:50 PM »
Thats Pilgrim's Peachblow.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline vitowitt

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Art Glass, Paperweights
    • Florida
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 04:35:08 PM »
The outside of the vase is reactive, but is more prominent on the lower half and smaller portion of the upper half of the vase. I'm sorry my camera seems to dim as the photo is taken and I can't take any useful pictures of the whole vase like I would like. The darker portions of the vase seems to be less reactive than the lighter portions. Again, my knowledge in this particular area is limited and what I'm trying to describe may be exactly how the piece is supposed to look, but I just find it interesting. Example, I have a older Fenton burmese vase and when it's under the UV light the whole piece lights up in a uniform color. The vase were discussing doesn't have a uniform color when under the UV light certain areas are much brighter than other areas. This is probably how it's supposed to look when viewed under a UV light. I failed to make mention of this in my initial post and didn't know if this would help with identifying this piece.

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 06:13:09 PM »
this could be from many places as before mentioned but could also be from these as well as they made some of this burmese. Guerney Glass, cambridge, OH in the early 70's late 60's. there have also been quite a number of small shops that remelted Fenton Burmese cullet and made items. including Gibson Glass who was in WV. The original guy that did the formulations for Guernsey was from an old factory in PA that brought those formulas with him, not sure which factory so that may be another source. I've used some of the Fenton Burmese cullet on a few occasions but never got it to restrike quite like the one shown, but it can do different things based on flame and temperature control. all are UV sensitive. Not too many shops have made UV sensitive glass in the last 30 years as the acquisition of depleted uranium used to make this glass was not that easy after WWII. I do know that Fenton, Mosser, and a few others in the US did.

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 06:42:15 PM »
I am relatively certain the vase in question is not Guernsey. Harold Bennett (Guernsey owner) bought Salvatore Diana's small Ventian Glass operation in 1967 under condition Salvatore would stick around to show Harold & his crew how to fire the Murano Burmese formula which he did before going back to Italy. Harold's Peachblow was frankly not good (and I am being kind) & after producing about 250 pieces Harold gave up the project. Rumor was that Si Wright was trying to see if Harold could produce a suitable (stable & uniform) Peachblow formula that  Si might use because Salvatore was shutting down his operation & Si was looking for an additional source for his operation. That never happened. I thought it might be an IG (Imperial) Peachblow 2nd because of the form design used, but it doesn't quite match up...close but no cigar. Its not Kanawha either...I suspect its one of the Murano imports brought in by AA Importing as their white interior casing stuff would react, but thats just my thought .

Offline vitowitt

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Art Glass, Paperweights
    • Florida
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 11:58:50 PM »
I don't know, but I found a antique gallery which sold or is selling almost the same vase, but i could be wrong. Could anyone tell me what you think about what this website has to say about this vase? 

http://atlantaantiquegallery.com/i-7945933-rare-brown-to-yellow-peach-blow-satin-glass-vase.html

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 12:18:33 AM »
Not the same type at all in my opinion. Yours is far more Burmese-type than Peachblow in coloration...topic just got sidetracked into a mini-Peachblow discussion...it happens. Good news though that yours reacts as it eliminates 95% of the wanna-bes.

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 02:23:00 AM »
I agree, Harold's never was what it should have been, but he had lots of fun with it. I hadn't remembered the name of the company he had scavenged onto, thanks for the info. I still have a few pieces of Harold's around somewhere. I used to sell to A&A but never saw the peachblow that they brought in. Some of their other stuff is now classic collectibles like their opalescent thumbprint stuff that came in from Korea, at least that's what the label on it said. I think you're right in pegging this piece as a Murano piece though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand