No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Made by New Martinsville US or Libochovice or Rosice CZ ?  (Read 5337 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Libochovice?
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 03:24:46 PM »
I know the giftware distributor molds were all made by NM in 1940. The Dove vase, Lady Face bookends & Barth's Rearing Horse which are Czech copies...I have never seen any documentation one way or another whether they aquired the molds or the molds were made here or if in fact the glass was imported (see below). Two of the three companies that were located roughly 20 miles from one another closed in the early 50s, Paden City & Barth Art in 1951...matter of fact it is suspected that Paden City's animals are all from Barth Art molds plus Paden City did export glass from other countries. New Martinsville was renamed Viking in 1944 under new ownership & Viking operated until 1984 when they closed then reopened in 1986 as Dalzell-Viking until 1998 when the factory closed for good. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rosecottagesales

• Members
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 12:26:05 AM »
I have a pair of blue ones, measuring at approximately 16cm tall

Comparing my vases with the one made by NM, mine looks a bit slender. Clear on the top, and frosted on the birds.

Cheers
Brenton

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 01:25:56 AM »
I agree. All the NM ones I've seen are crystal even though they had a light blue in their general line of glass & the overall finish on yours are much better (quality-wise) than NM's.  Much sharper in blue too.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 10:04:03 AM »
The taller ones seem to be spread more at the , generally. Need more examples and some labelled ones could help too. Noticed a remark on DG site that height varies on degree of spread. Did NM make more than one size?

I guess Emil's that started this thread is possibly NM note that one is 26cm.

Libochovice pattern 1584 had spread at 25cm slimmer at 16cm
Rosice pattern 2472 slimmer 25cm
New Martinville pattern 101 (Morning Dove)  (Advert states 9" - 23cm, DG site states 25cm/10" citing spread for height variants)

Degrees of spreading may vary, top rims may vary. Frosting of birds DID vary, colours... lots from all 3 makers.

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 03:13:44 PM »
Unfortunately NM did not mark 95% of their glass. Only notable exception was their vanity items (powder jars). NM supposedly made a smaller more slender version of the Dove vase later, but evidently not in production very long. 

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Made by New Martinsville US or Libochovice or Rosice CZ ?
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 09:45:23 PM »
NM supposedly made a smaller more slender version of the Dove vase later, but evidently not in production very long. 

Or that was the Rosice one being assumed NM by US collectors? Sklo Union was also rarely marked, only labelled.

It would be nice if someone can solve this ID dilemma.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand