No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lovely turquoise swan.......? Marcolin or Ronneby? ID = Marcolin Ronneby  (Read 1766 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Another question from my glass cabinet....

I have this beautiful turquoise swan that has no name on the base, and no label.
It is about 8" long,  and is almost ethereal the way the threads and bubbles are pulled through the glass.

I am putting a couple of pictures up on the hopes that someone out there might say....'Oh, that was made by.......' Or,  just for you all to enjoy looking at......enjoy!

Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline inca

• Members
  • Stockholm, Sweden
Re: Lovely turquoise swan.......? Marcolin or Ronneby?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 11:09:26 PM »
Lovely!

This looks like Marcolin Ronneby to me. Early/mid 1960's.

here are a couple of swans from my collection.

all texts and pictures © Ingela Nyrén

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 11:37:13 PM »
Thank you Ingela....I have many Marcolin Ronneby pieces in the Grey colourway, but they are all signed to the base FM Ronneby, M and numbers....we have discussed those in a previous thread.

Because this didn't have any signature, I couldn't believe it might be Marcolin Ronneby, but it is such wonderful quality I had hoped it might be.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures with me,  may I put a similar white one on this thread over the holiday period to see if you think it might be the same maker?
Rosie.

Offline inca

• Members
  • Stockholm, Sweden
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 12:12:31 AM »
may I put a similar white one on this thread over the holiday period to see if you think it might be the same maker?

Yes, please do!

You wrote "Marcolin or Ronneby".
I've seen this before (I can't remember who wrote it, or where?) and I'm a bit curious to know why people use "or"? Is there a misunderstanding that these are two different glassworks, or is this just a way to date an object. :huh:

all texts and pictures © Ingela Nyrén

Offline rosieposie

• Members
Re: Lovely turquoise swan.......? Marcolin or Ronneby? ID = Marcolin Ronneby
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 12:26:59 AM »
I'll try to post the picture before Christmas....it is a very beautiful swan white with red beak and eyes.  The reason I am in doubt about it being Marcolin Ronneby is because it was so cheap, and there appear to be a lot of black grit like inclusions in the glass.  I will try to make those aparrent in the pictures for you.

The reason we tend to say Marcolin or Ronneby (and it could well have been me who said that in a previous thread),  is because  Marcolin did, I believe, for a time, operate in Sardinia,  and I thought that at that time there was no connection with Ronneby,  who I have always thought to be Swedish Konstglas.......but I love to learn more about glass,  so even if you have given the answer before,  I would really appreciate you clarifying it again....when you have the time.

Many thanks again Ingela,
rosieposie.
Rosie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand