No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: etched goblet~Stourbridge?  (Read 2353 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: etched goblet~Stourbridge?
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 08:39:11 PM »
Great!  Lovely pieces   :D  And lucky you, getting an ID ;)  Well done, Thomas and JP  :hiclp:

Leni

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 09:35:42 PM »
You may be new to the forum but you AINT new to glass two fabulous pieces . well done . :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp: :fc:

Offline tate9852

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 10:16:39 PM »
Thank you all so much. I was cleaning these lovely pieces and found a signature which is Hawkes. Frederick Carder and Thomas Hawkes founded Steuben in 1903 in Corning New York. It is common for Carder designs to be signed Hawkes. When I first saw these I thought Carder Steuben. Just one of the glasses below are signed Hawkes. So....now I have to find out if in fact these are by Frederick Carder....an on and on it goes, ha-ha. I really love the hunt for a definite attribution. It is so fun!

http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g381/tate9852/

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 10:33:58 PM »
Oh well foot in mouth . :ha: I did say a guess and the blossom is like Orchards  :ooh:
Carder went from S&W to USA perhaps he took some flowers with him ;D

Offline tate9852

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 10:38:31 PM »
Not at all, It is was great effort. I will take any and all help I can get, right or wrong. It will lead me down the right path. If it was easy, what fun would that be?

And yes, it is entirely possible that he brought his old designs from S&W. What got me was the shape is identical to noted Webb goblets, but didn't find any matching  S&W shapes. That is what sent me on the Webb trail.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 11:59:44 PM »
Hi,

Cooo, you lot have been busy while I was away ;)

Very interesting outcome, with some good chuckles along the way (young Mr Hobbs wanting half a point for being trying........Oh, didn't I get that right?!?..).

I was going to mend my manners and welcome Tate to the GMB, but now that I'm so green with envy at not only one set of six, but two...........well, honestly, that's just greedy ::) :mrgreen:

Lucky fellow!! Welcome to the board :) :)

Nigel

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 11:24:29 AM »
Welcome back Nigel was it cold sitting up there on the fence , who lifted you down ? ;D :chky:
 I like the young Mr Hobbs . you scallywag

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand