No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Isit Alladins cave  (Read 1892 times)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Isit Alladins cave
« on: December 19, 2010, 03:36:36 PM »
Hi have a nice weight with five millefiore mushrooms rising from a black base to form a dome the black base has loads of jagged pieces of millefiore rising from it, ive had it yonks but forgotten who made it , nice concave polished pontil flat polished round the edge . PERTHSHIRE? TIA . Slighyly in the Christmas spirit already . :srn: :ho:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Isit Alladins cave
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 05:40:44 AM »
I believe I have one - see attached photos.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 11:06:45 AM »
Thanks Ross thats the begger they are so hard to take a good picture of they are much nicer in the flesh, do you know if its called Alladins cave ? THANKS JP

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 11:32:59 AM »
I think it must be right or Wolf would have corrected me by now I suspect.  I don't have a book on Perthshire or Caithness weights unfortunately.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 11:13:52 PM »
The book The Complete Guide to Perthshire Paperweights refers to weights of this type, made from 1969 to 1971 as
two-layered "fountain" weight
There was also a larger three-layer version. The book also states that early literature named them as "Aladdin's Cave" [note only one l in the name].

Those weights were made with part canes and coloured chips and the effect was more akin to "splashes of colour" than is seen in JP's weight which clearly has whole canes. These "whole cane" examples were more recent versions (and there were also "marbles" [small, surface-decorated weights] which used the same style and colours of canes).

I don't know whether the later weights were also called "layered fountain" or perhaps "Aladdin's Cave". Maybe somebody else can provide that information - or maybe we will have to wait for the proposed book on later Perthshire Paperweights to bring us up to date with items from c1997 to the closing of the company.
KevinH

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 08:02:14 AM »
Thanks Kev i nearly had my throat cut once by a Libyan for referring to Aladdin rather than Ala ddin he said its our story not yours ,  mind you he was Mummar Gadaffis nephew a total nut case , his father was chief of secret police in Libya . :no: :phew: Nice weight i have had it a very long time i stopped buying weights many years ago .
 thanks again , john   :sn:

:-X  New year resolution must stop listing while under the influence :-X

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Re: Is it Aladdin's Cave
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 07:04:40 PM »
In 2002 there was an exhibition at the Bergstrom-Mahler-Museum, showing the 2002 Perthshire designs - which never went into production, but obviously had some samples done in 2001, before the studio was closed. Apart from new designs, also a few continued designs are shown in the exhibition leaflet - including an "Aladdin's Cave", described as "Crushed millefiori set on two layers and set on a black background. 2-3/4" diameter."

Now ... this is not an official Perthshire catalogue - so no proof that this design was called "Aladdin's Cave" by the studio.

The design doesn't show up in my collection of post-1997 Perthshire catalogues (which isn't quite complete, though) ... so it's difficult to tell whether it had been produced continuously (and just not mentioned in the catalogues) - or had been discontinued and taken up again for 2002. Even that cannot be taken for granted, as "Aladdin's Cave" is just mentioned (together with Marble and Pyramid) as "Related Objects" - no specific year given.

If you are interested in Derek Carter's detective story of chasing up high quality images (I only had a poor scan of a multiply folded leaflet), read the PCC Newsletter 101 of November 2009.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 10:27:22 PM »

I have a couple of spare copies of said Newsletter...donations to the PCC are always welcome....

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 12:57:06 PM »
Peter MacDougall is still making very, very similar weights - crushed canes on small round weights, (on black, green or red backgrounds) and up to 3 tiers in domed ones, with somewhat less-crushed canes.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand