No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Etched Glass Bowl  (Read 2508 times)

Offline Jan the Strong

• Members
Etched Glass Bowl
« on: December 20, 2010, 01:30:10 AM »
I am a total glass newby... I may even be wrong in making the assumption that what I found is Scandanavian.
I don't have a camera readily available to post a photo so I will first try to describe:
the bowl is about 7inches high and about 10 inches wide the elongated direction
the glass is clear and seems to be handblown
the bowl has a round ground flat bottom and an elyptical rim
it is engraved on one side with a sort of "tree of life" motif with fruit, people and birds in the tree
on the bottom is engraved: HDL-59   A.7.3  636   (this is my best interpretation)
the D could be an O and the 7 another three or of course other interpretations to a knowing eye.

Any ideas what I have or some good resources for learning about glass? I read an engraving question exchange between Scandimaid and Daniel and was intrigued at what can be learned following the conversation of knowledgable people.

Offline kisslikeether

• Members
    • 20th Century Scandianvian
Re: Etched Glass Bowl
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 07:16:49 AM »
Hi Jan
Welcome to the board!
A little talc rubbed over the signature makes it easier to read.
Shame you don't have access to post a photo as this is often the only way to make a positive ID with sketchy signature info.
Cheers

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 07:44:14 AM »
Good morning.
Sorry but the description (good effort!) and the signature could be just about anything, and we'd really need to see an image of the item. Until that time, feel free to google Hadeland, Norway and see if you can find similar items.

Offline mbmb

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 12:34:52 PM »
You will always do well listening to Ivo. Your lead crystal bowl is a Norwegian Hadeland. The model is called “Oslo”, the sandblasted décor 636 is called “Fruit Harvest”, and the initials AJJ (yes, that’s what it says) belong to Arne Jon Jutrem. It’s a nice piece, and quite expensive at the time. Congratulations!

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 01:04:09 PM »
May we see a picture anyway Jan,  it sounds lovely....and how special....I love Hadeland glass....my pieces are animals though.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Jan the Strong

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 03:50:52 PM »
you all get right at it in the morning... oh actually forgot the time change. I'm so grateful to have all the input. I'm working on a camera solution, but it seems mbmb had an idea for what it is without the picture even. Thank you very much one and all. I may find a way to post a picture anyway.
Thanks again all
Jan

Offline SCANDIMAD

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 10:20:46 AM »
I completely agree with mbmb, you have a "Oslo" sandblasted designed bowl by Arne Jon Jutrem, of Hadeland Glass.I suspect the year would be 1959, but I would stand to be corrected by mbmb, on that. For those who collect Hadeland glass it would be a most welcome piece to their collection.
And by the way its "Scandimad" and not Scandimaid, but I suppose my wife could be referred to as a Scandimaid as she ends up doing most of the dusting of my collection. Although I do insist that I do any washing necessary.

Offline mbmb

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 04:54:33 PM »
Sorry, I perhaps thought it was too obvious to mention, but Scandimad is right – the year is 1959. Arne Jon Jutrem worked at Hadeland from 1950 until 1962 (and again in the late 1980’s and early 90’s), and this design was in their catalogue a few years in the late 1950’s.

Offline Jan the Strong

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 09:42:01 PM »
Thanks Scandimad,
I wrote my reply without re-looking at actual names just by recollection...glad to have come up with a moniker for the diligent duster of the house though.
I saw the Oslo bowl at a thrift shop right near my house, and knew I was attracted to it immediately, merely from an artistic value, didn't really think about a monetary value, I just liked it. Wouldn't you know something this simple can catapault one into the warmth giving "hotbed" of wonderful individuals so ready to christen a new glass aficinado into the fold. Still working on the photo solution so you all can share in the visual enjoyment of the piece. Thanks for the welcome.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand