No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 2 possible Whitefriars streaky paperweights made with flattened star canes ?  (Read 3736 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
The only Whitefriars streaky paperweight I have ever owned had coloured ribbons . The ribbons in these possible Whitefriars streakies are made with (possibly) flattened star canes . Firstly, are they Whitefriars (please!) and were canes used for the ribbons normally ? Diameter 8 cm , height 7 cm for both. There are three internal large bubbles in each weight . Thanks for looking !  :sg:
Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Here is the other one ! :sn:
Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Yes 100 % W/Fs made by Ray Annenberg you can often see the star at the end of the pulled cane . jp

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks very much John...really good news !! I thought they might be (that's why I bought them !) but the one that I had didn't show any indicaction that the ribbons were, infact, made from paperweight canes !  Do you know if this is the case with all ribbons in streakies ?  Ta, Mike.
Mike

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
No they dont all show the cane end , the three bubbles are sometimes elongated  . :fc:

Offline Leni

• Members
Nice finds!  :D  The ones with cane ends visible are 'sought-after'  ;) :thup:
Leni

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks John & Leni !

I bought them in the Gloucester Antiques Centre which is well worth a visit if you ever find yourself in Gloucester. They were tucked away on the second floor. I picked up one and convinced myself that they 'surely must be' and then noticed the other one and got a bit.... :rah:....you know that feeling....as you do in these situations. I paid £16 each, but the seller (who wasn't there) didn't know they were W/fs (at lest they weren't marked as such).  I only half knew they might be !

It was the cane ends which I was unsure about...but I convinced myself they must be W/F star canes . Sometimes you just have to go with a little bit of gut-instinct ..... Talking of guts,  I can't help thinking tape worms here  :24:.
Only kidding...I really understand the appeal of these weights , they are superb & very heavy.  :love:

Mike

Offline daveweight

• Members
These stretched cane weight were made in three designs, the first, like your, has three bubbles in a triangular pattern above the caes. The second type is strretched canes covered in small bubbles and the third type has elongated bubbles going from the middle downwards.  Worth buyinf the guide to Whitefriars weights whihc Brain Slingsby has produced as it illustrates virtually all the Whitefriars paperweights.
Dave

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Brian will be pleased with his new name  :24: :24: :24: Had a few drinks Dave ?

Offline daveweight

• Members
Hic - Yes I confess. Never type things in a hurry - lesson learned !!

Have a good Christmas one and all

Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand