No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Art Deco green vase red 'flame' splotches - Schneider  (Read 12595 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Art Deco green vase red 'flame' splotches - Schneider
« on: December 21, 2010, 12:04:21 AM »
I recently bought the vase Steven put in this linked thread -

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,31709.msg178865.html#msg178865

I believe it is a Prachen vase designed by Frantisek Koudelka and, dredging my memory, I think it is the Karneval range.  Can anyone confirm this please?  And also I think it is from 1973 - is this correct?
many thanks for any help  :)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: Prachen vase - Frantisek Koudelka? Karneval range?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 12:22:00 AM »

Hi, M, I followed the link to the thread showing the green-red vase, "Big 30s Blown Cased Glass Vase With Bubbles, etc. WMF? Czech?" and it does not seem to have found an attribution by the end of the thread? I do not see Koudelka-Prachen elements except for Ivo suggesting maybe Prachen as a casual idea, not as a firm attribution...... if I have read the thread correctly.... It does not look Karneval (or Prachen) to me to me particularly...  It looks like a possibly Czech vase though...

Robert (bOBA)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 12:44:37 AM »
thanks Robert  :) I was just about to amend my post.  I was querying my memory as well especially since I found  reference to Karneval in Jindrich's pics of the CGR 73 - 2 and the decor looks different.  I found a post where Marcus refers to CGR 73 May edition and the Karneval range, but I'm not sure that is edition 2? It may be that he was referring to edition 5 which is not on Jindrich's fabulous links.

To clarify, I have another vase bought a few months ago at the glass fair.  I think I recall when I bought it that I was told it had been id'd as a 'test' or 'trial' for one of either the Flora or Karneval range and designed by Frantisek Koudelka but never put into production. I thought I remembered Karneval, but I am now thinking perhaps Flora particularly since there is a splodge of yellow in the large vase as well.   I can't find my notes at the moment annoyingly, but  I believe I recall the sellers said Mark Hill had id'd it.  And I have seen this vase (or one the same as it) in the display pictures of the Hi Sklo Lo Sklo exhibition (scroll down to picture 4 down on the link), set with other Prachen vases.

http://markhillpublishing.co.uk/?page_id=842

Having now bought this large vase and setting them both together,  I am pretty much certain that they are the same range, designer, maker.  Hence my reference to Prachen and Frantisek Koudelka.  For reference, the pontil marks are also finished in the same way, ground and smooth and polished, but not shiny.

pics below -
thanks again for replying, it is appreciated.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 01:06:41 AM »
this is what made me think it must be Flora I was thinking of
if you enlarge the first picture in this thread to see the closeup of the decor

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,22373.msg126214.html#msg126214

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 05:56:52 PM »
aha - see on link to Czech Glas Revue May 1974 - so  74-5 pages 19,20 and 21.  My original vase shape is clearly on page 19 but not in the same colour way.  I will continue to search to see if I can find a reference to the large glass vase now.  But I feel 99.99% certain it is the same decor, range and designer.

link here

http://picasaweb.google.com/Jindra8526/Glasrevue19745?authkey=Gv1sRgCMbU2NLb3emcdQ#

m

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 06:58:35 PM »
There is a good match for your small vase there, that you have just posted. It looks like a good attribution.

Apart from a shape match to a known Koudelka design, the small vase has a visibly clear base which a lot of Prachen vase ranges did at this time, the tall vase does not seem to have this. The taller vase still seems slightly different to me in shape and colourway... I would doubt it was part of this range myself.. The shape suggests to me a slightly more old fashioned type of design to me not fitting with the rest of the range exactly... that is all. Good luck on pinning it down...  

Robert (bOBA)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 09:06:42 PM »
thanks Robert :)  The large vase does have a clear cased base/foot as well, it was difficult to show it in the photo side on as it is so large and also the red reflects madly in the base.  It is not as deep as the smaller vase but is certainly clear cased.
I shall keep looking - I do love a mystery  ;D
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 07:03:50 PM »
I was searching for something else and came across this link to a vase that is a bad photo link online (scroll down to page 98) but bears some marked similarities to my large floor vase (new pic added below)
The one online looks greener but that is what my vase looks like.  The linked one is also a very large piece.

Millers- Art Deco - the one linked to is WMF Geislingen.
Any thoughts - I think they look very similar.
m
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Zxxw0K79dpUC&pg=PA6&dq=collector's+guide+art+deco+miller&hl=en&sa=X&ei=m7uNT53uBInV8gPa9ZSnCw&ved=0CGEQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=collector's%20guide%20art%20deco%20miller&f=false

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 07:18:16 AM »
better lit picture of mine.
I think their green is either slightly different of it's been enhanced for the book maybe.  You can see the ribbed vertical lines of the green where it's been blown into a mould on theirs as well as mine. 

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 09:58:25 AM »
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,31709.0.html
see thread above for further information.
thank you
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand