No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Art Deco green vase red 'flame' splotches - Schneider  (Read 12593 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Prachen vase - Frantisek Koudelka? Karneval range?
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 11:28:43 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200681101111+&item=200681101111&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466

the linked vase above is the same decor and colours as mine and is signed SCHNEIDER.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 11:47:28 AM »
The decors do match very well, can't make out the etched mark, as I don't know what it should look like will just have to take the sellers word for that.

Examples here: http://www.stylendesign.co.uk/guidepages/markssatosj.html

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 11:58:44 AM »
The etched mark is SCHNEIDER in capitals.  It is the same as the photographed capital sig that is the first capital sig you come to on the link you gave. It is the same decor I am this time absolutely certain (as with the vase I linked to from Millers Art Deco which is also the same decor).  The sellers feedback is very good, they have one neg which seems to be a buyer who didn't pay.    They look as though they sell high end antiques not glass specifically.  And of course it isn't 'cameo' glass at all.  I will email them and ask for a close up of the signature.
I've added a pic of mine on black background for decor comparison.  It's the best I can do to light it the same as theirs, because it is so large to light. Mine looks a slightly 'grassier' green in my photo but honestly it is the same colour as theirs, and when you zoom in on their closeup of the turned over neck you can see the same little black bits in the green as in mine.  It's a cert for the same decor and maker.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 05:39:33 PM »
http://www.libertys.com/glass.htm
other examples of signatures for future reference.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 01:24:47 PM »
This one is signed in exactly the same place, right on the edge of the foot and seems to be the same kind of signature.     
http://fineart.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=5104&lotIdNo=11019
The sig on the vase I linked to looks right to me having checked out his two pictures including the one that's upside down, but I haven't had a response from the vendor on my picture request for more pics.
And I have to say, if you were going to fake a sig, it's the hardest place to put it, right on the edge of a shallow curved foot.
I still haven't been able to match the vases.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Art Deco green vase red 'flame' splotches - Schneider
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 06:13:30 PM »
Sorry I've been switching between threads and I've now asked for the title for this to be changed. 
So far I've found the same decor vase as my original large vase on this thread, on
1)  a vase id'd and signed as Schneider
but also
2) on this link id'd as WMF Ikora - (but  there has been a query,on another thread that I posted the link on originally, over whether this Ikora id is correct)
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Zxxw0K79dpUC&pg=PA6&dq=collector's+guide+art+deco+miller&hl=en&sa=X&ei=m7uNT53uBInV8gPa9ZSnCw&ved=0CGEQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=collector's%20guide%20art%20deco%20miller&f=false
I've got the book that id's this decor as Ikora out of the library, and that book was produced in 2005.  The WMF Ikora & Myra Glaser (Burschel/Scheiffele) was produced in 2003.  I appreciate that misidentifications can and do happen, but it's curious that a book, produced two years after the WMF 'bible', id's a vase as WMF yet it isn't in the WMF book.
With reference the Schneider signature on the linked vase, it looks ok to me, however all the sigs on the links showing the variety, show that the sigs in capitals have an underline under them.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 07:19:15 PM »
I'm still trying to work out whether or not an id in this book 'Art Deco' by Judith Miller published by DK Collector's Guides is correct - with reference the vase with the same decor as my vase but on a different shape, has been id'd as 'made by W.M.F. of Geislingen (if you have the book see page 98 vase bottom right hand corner).  This can't be found in the WMF book (Burschel and Scheiffele).
In the meantime browsing through the Art Deco Judith Miller book, I came across a footed bowl id'd as 'from the Myra-Kristall range made by WMF' (page 79).  It is flame red colour with a stylised pattern on it and is described as ' This example has a stylised pine cone and leaf pattern etched in red glass with iridescent yellow flashes'.  I can't find it in the WMF book and I thought the Myra-Kristall range was an iridescent range with plain surfaces... however... there are similar in the WMF book but they are named as Myra-Technik Unikat Decor.

So I'm just wondering if the vase with the same decor as mine might be from a 'Ikora' type Unikat set maybe?  I say 'set' because whilst all the shapes are different I have now found 3 in the same decor.
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 07:41:27 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it. It is not as if all attributions in these books are accurate and double checked - just stick to what can be proven from reliable sources such as the Burschel book. 

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 08:02:23 PM »
I'm not worried about it Ivo  :)  I'd just like to identify my vase. 
And that book says it is WMF. 
And it also has a bowl in there that does look like it is a Myra-Technik Unikat piece, that isn't in the Burschel book.  Which of course means the Burschel book may not be 'complete' and it's likely that there may be more Unikat pieces that are not in the Burschel book.  I can't imagine they have managed to cover every single piece (not that I ever imagine that any book would be 'complete' of course). 
So the Burschel book may feature pieces that are all correctly id'd, but possibly doesn't feature all the pieces.
I do appreciate however, that none of the three shapes found so far with this decor, are found in the book.
And I probably wouldn't be worrying away at this one, if I honestly felt there was no way it could be a WMF piece, but I can't discount that completely  :)
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 01:47:35 PM »
This yellow vase with green splotches looks similar although not the same background as mine has vertical stripes in it, to my green with red vase.
Can anyone help?  anyone recognise it?
It's listed as Monart which I'm pretty sure it isn't.
thanks for looking.
http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/batemans-auctioneers-and-valuers/catalogue-id-2852317/lot-14784922

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand