No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: I thought this was an Oldrich Lipsky vase... silly me.  (Read 4284 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
I thought this was an Oldrich Lipsky vase... silly me.
« on: December 23, 2010, 09:07:05 AM »
Hi,

I bought this greenish-blue and clear vase, thinking it was an Oldrich Lipsky piece...   :pb:

It's 14cm tall and has a completely flat polished base.  I don't think it has any age to it.  Is it recent Czech production?  Or is it not Czech at all? 

All comments and help regarding the maker are greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Re: I thought this was an Oldrich Lipsky vase... silly me.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 11:41:36 AM »
Ah, I so love these vases, don't care if they are made by Lipsky or not (well, I didn't overpay for a similar style vase, discusses here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,37097.0.html).

The jury is still out apparently, but the feeling was that the original designs by Lipsky were taken up by other factories as well, Czech or German. Personally, I would buy another similar one in a heartbeat if the price wasn't too overblown (even if they were made in China yesterday). The original Lipsky versions are too pricey for me...

Though I have to say, yours looks more like a Lipsky than mine... maybe it is?

Astrid
(currently renamed 'glassilla' by her husband (humming the Blue Oyster Cult tune) every time he finds her on this forum)

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 02:55:17 PM »
 ;D

Astrid, interestingly, I'm waiting for the postman to deliver exactly the same vase as you've got in the other thread...  I'll post a picture there as soon as I get it.  (My vase is clear and lightish green... and very used.)

The vase I've got above is, in my opinion, new... there are only a few light scratches to the base.  I'm certain I've overpaid.  With postage, I spent 82 zl (about 20 Euro  :spls:).  Dear me...

(I've been a bit 'bidding-happy' lately, bidding just for the sake of bidding and winning instead of bidding with my head...  I think I'm going through my obsessive-compulsive phase.)

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 03:32:28 PM »
I would pay 20 euro for yours... but I'm not sure how prices are generally in your part of the world. I usually pay between 10 and 20 for a nice vase, occassionally a bit more (up to 50) if I know what it is and I think it's worth it.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 04:01:37 PM »
As a full-time lecturer at the pedagogical university of Krakow, I make 1630zl per month, which is about 410 euro (per month).   :-X

A kilogram of coldcuts costs about 30- to 40zl.  A litre of milk costs 3,50zl. A roll costs 0,50zl.  200g of Jacob's instant coffee costs 28zl.  Gouda cheese costs 20zl/kg.  If you want to buy a flat (not in the city centre, and not in a fancy neighbourhood) you have to pay anywhere between 5,000-6,000zl / m2. 

That's why I have 2 full-time teaching jobs -- I wouldn't be able to afford my hobby otherwise.  :)

P.S.  Astrid, why isn't your e-mail address visible?  How is a girl supposed to tell you something privately?  ;)

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 05:19:26 PM »
P.S.  Astrid, why isn't your e-mail address visible?  How is a girl supposed to tell you something privately?  ;)

I've changed the setting... email welcome :)

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 05:23:29 PM »
This piece we use to attribute to Oldrich Lipsky. Originaly designed by him in 60ties for Exbor, but as far as I know it was manufactured also few years ago, some Hlava's  pieces as well. But the age does not play a roke when you like it.
Naturaly tough Czechoslovak glass collectors would require a piece with acid exBor stamp  ;D.

You wrote that you have two full time jobs, that is right, here in Central Europa has a working day 24 hours + night!
The best Chrsitmas wish to all

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenksesklo

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 06:45:10 PM »
So it is an Oldrich Lipsky design?  And I thought I was being very wishful in my thinking...

Thank you, Jindrich!  :hi:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand