No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can someone put a pattern name to this Per Lutken vase?  (Read 2330 times)

Offline ahremck

• Members
Can someone put a pattern name to this Per Lutken vase?
« on: December 24, 2010, 12:48:11 PM »
This is not your typical beak vase.  The lips are roughly equal in size and far too wide for a beak vase.  I just can't seem to see a pattern that is appropriate.  Can you help?

Ross

PS  A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.  :fc: :fc: :fc: :fc: :fc:
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline HarderNet.dk

• Members
    • HarderNet.dk DANISH GLASSWORKS RESOURCE MUSEUM
Re: Can someone put a pattern name to this Per Lutken vase?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 04:28:41 PM »
This vase do not have any pattern name. It is a solo piece.

You can find a couple of these on my website under Art glass, find Lütken, Per kunstglas solo, on subpage click link to VASE, scroll down until you find the vase in question.

Similar can be found in the book "Glass is Life" "black book pages" unika item 844.

:fc: 
Peter

DANISH GLASSWORKS RESOURCE MUSEUM
Holmegaard Glasswork, Kastrup Glasswork, Fyens Glasswork
HarderNet.dk

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 10:18:30 PM »
Thanks for the prompt response Peter - I would never have thought of it as a one off.  One wonders how it got to Australia.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 10:29:39 PM »
By "solo piece" I think Peter meant that it's not part of a named series, rather than being a unique item, and often times - as this piece was - the unika items listed in Glass Is Life were later put into commercial production. Proper unik pieces weren't signed with a date as yours is.

That said, a LOT of great unik pieces seem to turn up in Aus - I've been told that there was a large Danish immigrant population in and around Sydney from the 1940s/50s onwards.

Offline HarderNet.dk

• Members
    • HarderNet.dk DANISH GLASSWORKS RESOURCE MUSEUM
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 04:13:34 PM »
Thanks for the prompt response Peter - I would never have thought of it as a one off.  One wonders how it got to Australia.

Ross

Hej Ross

Vase is a production piece not "one off" to be unique it should have had signed with the number 844 as well.

Holmegaard Glasswork has always participated in many exhibitions through out the World and most of the time, if not always made new design especially to these exhibitions, instead of bringing them home to Denmark again they were sold on the spot, therefore you often can find "one off" in Danish we cal them "unikater" because they often is not "unique" "one of a kind" but found in very limit numbers mostly from 2 to 5 i numbers, very few in on 1, and few between 6-9.
The real unique, in Danish "Unika" on made as 1 item is rare. I also name items that, due to the production metode, as unique "one of a kind" because it come out not quit the same due to the glass making process, as seen in the wet clay "våd lerform" technique.

Do think that Australia, quit early was introduced to glass from Holmegaard Glasswork, probably around 1920 together with "Den Kongelige porcelænsfabrik" (Royal Copenhagen). I am sure you can find Danish glass items close to 100 years old, you just do not notice them, yet  :nogos:

In 1978 you had a large exhibition touring in Australia called "150 Years of Danish Glass" it was circulated in Victoria by Caulfield Institute of Technology, Melbourne and organized by Kastrup & Holmegaard Glassworks.

The exhibition contained and showed 333 items and did cover item from 1825 to 1978 with items from production at Fyens Glasswork, Kastrup Glasswork and Holmegaard Glasswork.

When I search the on line shops, and private adds in Australia, I think you do have many, many very fine Holmegaard items, from the almost last 100 years of production, and for my self I have bought several fine items from Australia, also unique glass, in spit of the shipment costs.

Lot of Danish families do have relatives in Australia, and of-cause there also have been a lot of gift exchange over time and what to give dear ones fare away, of-cause the best of the best, so beautiful old Holmegaard items is to be found in Australia.

Good luck with the search.

Peter

DANISH GLASSWORKS RESOURCE MUSEUM
Holmegaard Glasswork, Kastrup Glasswork, Fyens Glasswork
HarderNet.dk

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand