No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orrefors Head sculpture?  (Read 14848 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: Orrefors Head sculpture?
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 11:23:35 AM »
Hi Mike,  just seen this thread.  I only have a few pieces of Orrefors, but none of the signatures look like yours.  I suspect Daniel S is right.......do you like the head enough to chance it?  Why hasn't it been snapped up already?  You may have to ask yourself these questions before parting with your money.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline 2*pleese*u

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 04:17:43 PM »
Dear Daniel and others, I did buy the item and have it with me, I E-Mailed the Orrefors company and they are working on the I.D. Also. It is hard to believe that it would be a fake looking at the clarity of the glass, size and craftsmanship it took to produce the item. but I will see. I am wondering if it is Orrefors, could it be a Per B Sunders design? Mike.

Offline 2*pleese*u

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 06:57:42 PM »
 I did some quick research this morning, There appears to be three distinct styles of the word Orrefors script or signatures. One is a full cursive style. One is a block/cursive type and one is a block lettering style with no curves to the ends of any lettering.
 Case in point these threads: http://bonanza.com/booths/collectomania/items/orrefors_Ravenna_art_glass_dish_by_Sven_palmquist
 also: www.antiquehelper.com/item362958 This link you need to go to google and enter.
this was just 10 minutes of research. I am at this point undeterred by the difference in the opinion of the signature based on what I have seen and will of course do more research tonight. the sheer heft (this weighs 11 LBS 5 OZ) and the clarity, refinement of detail, and subject matter or style is, in my opinion indicative of a glass works company with the talent and tools to pull off the execution of this piece. the jury is still out on this until I get a response back from the Orrefors representatives. Michael Branch. (2*pleese*u).

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 07:05:29 PM »
Hi Mike,  just looked in, and I see what you mean....I have looked at the link, a Sven Palmquist vase, and this is the first time (except for your posting) that I have seen Orrefors written in this script.  I do hope that it really is an Orrefors piece, and a big one at that, but at that size for that price,  it must be worth the money.....
And, to boot,  I will have learned to recognise yet another piece of signed glass.....Please let us know what Orrefors say, won't you?
Rosie.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 07:31:57 PM »
Michael:

Writing to Orrefors is a good idea, although they don't always give you definitive answers.

I suspect Daniel is too modest to tell you, but he has a vast knowledge of Orrefors, having worked there. His grandfather also worked there for a long time.  I think I remember that Daniel has about 1000 pieces of Orrefors, which gives him a good sampling of signatures.

But as I said, writing Orrefors is the best route. Fingers crossed!

David

PS It does look like a very interesting piece.

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 10:56:52 PM »
Just judging from the lineage of the sig I'd say it is not done by diamond point, so don't get your hopes up...

Offline 2*pleese*u

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 06:15:09 AM »
Dear All, Rosie and Daniel, I did get one response back and am waiting for another. The first response essentially said that the item would not have been a production piece, or it would have had the Designers initials and other code indicating what glass type (format) and code for production run. They went on to say that it may have been a prototype that was not put into production because either it was not considered viable in design or efficacy to produce (to laborious) or labor intensive to make. No designer at this point has been mentioned and no denial that it is not a Orrifors item was mentioned in the E-mail. I thought that i would post two more pictures, whilst I wait for another response back from the company. Michael and added note: I very much respect the opinions of the people here who are at the top of their game vis a vie their knowledge and that is exactly why I came here to search for answers. here are the other two pictures,I can add more but not as many as I want to in one sitting. Michael.

Offline kisslikeether

• Members
    • 20th Century Scandianvian
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 07:59:40 AM »
The photo's really do shout Martti Rytkönen to me

http://www.swedishartglass.com/shop/image.asp?id=2170

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 11:02:49 AM »
Hi Mike,  these are super photos, and looking at the head again,  it looks like the 'columns' and supports are meant to represent wrists and hands, as though the model is holding his/her head.

I hope you get a positive response from Orrefors.....it is such an original piece, I am sure the artist would remember making it if he is shown the pictures.

All that said, if it turns out not to be Orrefors, it is such a great piece that IMO it was well worth the money you paid, and will always be a conversation provoking piece in your home.......I follow the thread with interest and will keep trawling the 'odd parts of the net' to see if I come up with anything useful.
Rosie.

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 12:03:17 PM »
aargh what a minefield it is out there!!! >:D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand