No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orrefors Head sculpture?  (Read 14807 times)

Offline Daniel S

• Members
Re: Orrefors Head sculpture?
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 08:59:28 PM »
Could you post larger pics.
800x600 pixels or so. I really can't see what the sculpture looks like.

I wonder who you spoke with at Orrefors since that's not true. Many many pieces are signed Orrefors and even OF. I know for sure since I have done signing myself at OF.

Artglass on the other hand always have a proper signature if sold  as artglass.

During the 70's most artglass was signed by ONE man(Liz). During the 80's ONE woman(Ina).

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 10:30:42 PM »
Looks a lot like some of Dino Rosin's glass, doesn't it ?

Gareth

Offline 2*pleese*u

• Members
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 11:46:45 PM »
Dear Daniel, The E-Mail and correspondence was sent to and received by Kristina Sparr who said that it most likely is a >Sample< item. What you say is correct, that she also confirmed, that all art glass was signed with an item number, whether it is a >One of a kind< or a >Collection item<.   > First choice< are sold for retail and >Second choice<, sold through factory outlets are never signed. But..... a sample from a Designers studio is. Kristina's Quote: "I believe you have a >Sample< that were intended to be a product but maybe our Product Counsel did not like it or maybe the artist decided to use another color or another style." End Quote. E-mail received on January the 2nd 2011. I understand you skepticism Daniel but I feel I am being lambasted. Should I send you all current correspondence. Be glad to. I just came here for help. Not to be crucified. But Like I said, I do understand you skepticism. Michael.

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 12:29:41 AM »
Michael,

I don't think Daniel was questioning your veracity, but the accuracy of the person you spoke to at Orrefors

Gareth

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 02:13:50 AM »
Michael:

I can appreciate you might feel at this point, but let me assure that I don't believe that any of the comments are intended to personal comments directed at you. I think there are a number of factors here:

1. The signature on this piece doesn't fit it in with what many of have us know and have read about how Orrefors pieces are marked. I've believed that from the start. This anomaly leads us, well, at least me, to approach the piece with some caution. How do we explain the anomaly?

2. It also might be someone else added "Orrefors", which, after all is  the name of a town. There was an engraver who added Orrefors to pieces he bought from Sea Glasbruk, amongst others. As an experienced glass collector, I'm sure you've seen signatures on pieces that shouldn't be there. I've seen obvious examples where the clear intent is fraud, I've seen examples, where someone has just inscribed the wrong attribution long after production, and I've seen a piece labeled as something inferior to what it actually is. Again, this leads me to approach the piece with caution, not judging it as either good or bad, but not being influenced solely by what the marking says.

3. I think we're a little uncertain about the depth of knowledge from Kristina. I read a reply from her in another recent thread, and I really couldn't estimate the the depth of her knowledge, and, consequently, how much faith I should have in her response.

4. English is not the first language of all the people responding to this thread, including Kristina. Our good friend Jindrich put it very well in another thread today, "Please take it easy, I have found than some English speaking people are fiinding much more behind the words really typed.
Please note that not everybody had got this Got's penalty to get English as the first language."

I've been really interested in this piece from the first as I know what interesting stuff you find. You've had a number of interesting suggestions and I don't think we're quite at the stage of even a possible attribution if your intent is resale. I'd love to see more photographs when you have time and I look forward to reading more of what Kristina writes.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline 2*pleese*u

• Members
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 06:09:20 AM »
Dear Daniel, I feel much better now about my interaction with you and others, Thanks for your reply. I am only looking for answers, I hate loose ends and love the stimulation I receive, learning about Art Glass. I very much respect all that know more than me. How is one supposed to learn if he is not open to the ideas and experiences of others who have gone before him. I look at the item and some common sense questions arise in my mind. Why would someone inscribe Orrefors on it if it is not. To gain value? I mean really.... how much value could one gain by doing this? A couple hundred perhaps? Certainly not thousands in this particular realm or area of Art Glass. The Art Glass Structure Stands well on it's own merits because of the Quality I observe in it already. The Design is stunning I think, the execution and clarity of the item is simply superb in my opinion. The subject matter is very pleasing to the eye. what more could one ask in a fine piece of art. Someone, Somewhere had to have made this. Whomever it was had to have the talent and facilities to pull it off. I doubt it was made in someone's back yard. It is refined. The glass clarity is excellent, there are no air bubbles to speak of, the feet edges are slightly beveled with a consistent bevel. the feet are applied very cleanly. The facial structures are uniform and there are no protruding anomalies anywhere. I am tenacious in my quest for answers. I think that if just one designer could view what we are seeing here, that they would be intrigued enough so that if they did not know, they would pass it on to someone who would, or may know. I don't have those kind of contacts though. Any company official is consider a reply to an E-Mail for political reasons, but would they consider going the extra mile? we will find out.  Until then, I will relay what information I receive, and I hope you and others will do the same. I appreciate very much all who have contributed to this mystery and respect each and every one of you for your knowledge and experience! Michael Branch.

Offline 2*pleese*u

• Members
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 08:36:41 AM »
I meant David Not Daniel! OOps. Michael

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 09:05:33 AM »
HI All

Before the time of the second choice stores all glass that wasn't rated first choice was smashed down.
Prototypes and samples are common and was stored in large shelves at the artglass department. Literally tons of stuff.

Then when a new boss took over OF(My grandfather said who but I have forgot), they realized that too much money was wasted when destroying glass with beauty defects(Bubbles, different height or thickness). So they started a small second choice store. It was a very little store and they did not advertise.

Orrefors back then had a agreement with the regular stores that sold Orrefors glass that Orrefors could not sell first choice signed glass. So Orrefors just sold unsigned pieces. But wait that's not entirely true. Discontinued products, first choice later started to appear in the second choice shop. Also pieces that were rated first choice and signed, but later deemed as seconds because of i.e being too tall. These pieces were then signed with a Roman II.

Samples and such are mostly signed 'OF' 'artist initials' and 'Prov'(Sample in swedish). Writing simply ORREFORS on a sample piece is really not a common practise and it would also be very deceiving. Many pieces are also unsigned.

Theft, it's known that many glass workers brought home a lot of glass. Art glass, regular pieces and so on. These are almost always unsigned. Due to the fact that the pieces where taken before they reached the "signer".

Is your piece free form blown? Most if not all OF figurines are molded.

Offline 2*pleese*u

• Members
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 09:23:45 AM »
Dear Daniel, I do not believe the item is free blown. It is solid glass and do not see how that could come to fruition  without signs of air bubbles or an air pocket. I see no seams as well but it must have had a mold, I do not see any other way an eleven pound blob of solid molten glass could be formed otherwise. Michael

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 09:27:12 AM »
Oh it's that heavy?

What's the dimensions?

Please also post larger pics if available.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand