No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orrefors Head sculpture?  (Read 14805 times)

Offline 2*pleese*u

• Members
Orrefors Head sculpture?
« on: December 26, 2010, 04:19:34 PM »
My name is Michael and I came across a clear crystal head sculpture on two pedistaled feet etched with the word Orrefors but I see no production number or artist code. Is it possible that Orrefors only signed the company name but did not include a production number on any of the art glass made or did all Products made have a Production code included?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Orrefors Head sculpture?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 04:42:16 PM »
Hi, Michael:

Some Orrefors pieces are marked only "Orrefors" or even "Of."  In my limited experience, such pieces tend to be pieces produced in great numbers or are smaller, not particularly significant pieces. I'm surprised that a head would carry only an Orrefors, as that's likely to be a better piece, although I don't associate Orrefors with heads, more Kosta/Boda. I'd love to see a photograph, as I'm sure would others, perhaps with the  mountains of Colorado in the background.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline 2*pleese*u

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 05:09:48 PM »
Dear David, That information is helpful, Thanks. I do not actually have the sculpture, It is for sale somewhere and am debating investing in it if it is still there after I find out more general information about signatures. I have done a completed and active search on E-Bay and did not see anything like it and I have thoroughly scoured the web for a similar piece. I saw no text or pictures of anything close to what I had seen. I think that if it were common, I would have been able to pull up an image or info on it? I may gamble and go pick it up today, based on any new information I receive on it here. worth the gamble? The seller has it marked 165.00?  Bertil Vallien may have been the designer, I am not positive I am not sure if Bertil signed all the items made also. the item stands about 3-3-1/2' tall, rests on two squat pedestal legs each slightly beveled around each leg and is about 7-8" in diameter. Thanks for your help! Mike

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 09:13:14 PM »
Michael:

If it were common and by Orrefors, yes, most likely you would have been able to find some info on the web about it. The pieces that I find the hardest to  find on the web about are the more limited production pieces such as the Expo and, later, the Gallery pieces. However, these are all very clearly marked and the code is easy to figure out.  I had a quick scan of the Orrefors books I have and I couldn't see a sculpture of a head, although it wouldn't surprise me if someone like Lars Hellsten had done some.

When I mentioned Kosta Boda, I was thinking primarily of Vallien. I'm pretty sure he's never designed for Orrefors.  I can't advise you on the gamble for $165 as it for me it would depend on how much I liked the piece. Would I still like it if turned out that it wasn't by Orrefors? And I wouldn't say I'm an Orrefors expert, like some people on this Board.

Good luck.

David

Offline 2*pleese*u

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 12:51:29 AM »
Dear David, Thanks again for your input. I read that Orrefors acquired Kosta Boda in 1990. so I'm not sure there still could be a connection with Bertil Vallien. I also read that as you mentioned earlier that some of the earlier pieces were simply signed OF Or Orrefors. I'm betting on that it is an early piece that is my gut feeling. I will wait for more responses before I decide to go after it though. Your help is immensely appreciated! Thank-You! Mike

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 01:23:29 AM »
Mike:

Just to clarify: I didn't say the earliest pieces weer more likely or less likely to be marked simply "Orrefors."  In fact, it's many of the modern, more production type pieces that fall into that category. And, yes, Kosta Boda did join with Orrefors, but I'm pretty sure you still won't see Bertil Vallien's name on any Orrefors pieces. Vallien has been an incredible supporter of the workers in the glassworks where he started, despite a succession of takeovers. Early Vallien would be under the Afors or Boda label.

David

Offline kisslikeether

• Members
    • 20th Century Scandianvian
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 08:47:24 AM »
Have you considered Martti Rytkonen as the designer as he has done a lot of figural work?

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 11:24:08 PM »
what do the head look like?

Try get a pic, bring your camera or mobile phone.

I can probably help you.

Offline 2*pleese*u

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 09:14:47 AM »
I am going to try to apply two re-sized pictures for all to see. Mike

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 09:45:23 AM »
I have never seen that head and the ORREFORS writing looks suspicious.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand