No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: mdina glass bird help  (Read 3823 times)

Offline amigabee

• Members
mdina glass bird help
« on: December 28, 2010, 10:00:46 AM »
Hi I have just become the proud owner of my first piece of Mdina art glass. I love the paperweight but I am now believing that I was cheated by the store. It is a bird (maybe a robin or sparrow) he is quite large and bulbous around its middle. All the examples I can find on the net seem to be small and slimmer than mine. I will not say my little bird is overweight as it may upset him lol. It is signed mdina on the base and has a medina label. I do not want valuation I would simply like to know if this could be a vintage version and hence worth the $140 I paid for it as all the ones I see online are around $20 australian and that is quite a difference. Please help me as I have never bought glass before and relied on an honest face to advise me and now I have doubt. Even dating him would help.
Yours Thankfully
Carron

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: mdina glass bird help
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 10:25:33 AM »
 :hi: and Welcome to the Forum.  :rah:

What is the Size of your birdie there?  In comparison to the price you paid of $140 for him.

I am not sure as I found a Paperweight here in the bargain Bin......and not sure of the going price for these --- but I am (thinking) you might have over-paid.

I think his face (might) not have been Honest >:D

Shame on him (maybe) .....but I do not know the Size of your birdie yet in regards to the price you paid....unless your birdie is real big (???) That sounds like a lot of $$$$$$

:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 11:28:49 AM »
He's a nice one, but I'm afraid you did rather overpay for him.  :'(
The splodgy patterns were introduced by Joseph Said in the '80s, he's definitely post-Harris ('68 - '72).

Just enjoy him, we all make mistakes, it's how we learn, and the bottom line is you liked him and got your purse out. It's not the end of the world.

However, if you want to stick around and ask questions, you'll learn a whole load about glass here - but be warned - it's addictive.
Welcome!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 05:49:26 PM »
Dont worry Rose , i bet a lot of the fellas on this forum have spent a lot more on an old bird , a few young ones to .
                                                                ;D :o ::) :chky:

Offline amigabee

• Members
Re: mdina glass bird help again
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 07:30:41 AM »
:hi: and Welcome to the Forum.  :rah:

What is the Size of your birdie there?  In comparison to the price you paid of $140 for him.

I am not sure as I found a Paperweight here in the bargain Bin......and not sure of the going price for these --- but I am (thinking) you might have over-paid.

I think his face (might) not have been Honest >:D

Shame on him (maybe) .....but I do not know the Size of your birdie yet in regards to the price you paid....unless your birdie is real big (???) That sounds like a lot of $$$$$$

I have measured him as best I can, here goes...tip of head to table is 14 cm, around his middle is 28cm, his tail is 5 cm long and 4 1/2 cm at its widest point. I really appreciate you help Thank you

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 12:37:07 PM »
 :o

Wow - that's one Big Bird. I haven't seen another that big - so you do have something a bit unusual.  :thup:

I believe Mdina are currently making big animals, but these have plastic labels on them, yours, having it's paper label (and this particular colourway, with splodges) is clearly earlier.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline amigabee

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 07:40:58 AM »
He is quite large but I would still like more info on him. Any ideas where else I can look?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 10:39:22 AM »
I don't think you will find much information on him; Sue has given you as much as you are likely to get. You could try asking the glass studio http://www.mdinaglass.net/

Unfortunately, the 1980s "splodgy" Mdina is less collectable than the early stuff and some of the other later ranges.

I agree with Sue and Rose in that you overpaid.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 12:06:51 PM »
There are two distinct sorts of splodgy patterns.
The most common is a white splodged background with a single patch of coloured splodges - this pattern, where 4 sets of different coloured splodges are set around the piece is a bit more unusual.

He is a bit special - for splodgy Mdina.

Do you know anything about the history of Mdina at all?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline amigabee

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 12:11:01 PM »
I know I have a fat splodgy bird lol apart from that I know little except that the it was started in malta I believe.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand