No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Second opinion wanted  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Second opinion wanted
« on: December 28, 2010, 09:14:29 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130468809931

The seller of this paperweight has modified the description, following my comment that this was not a Daum weight. However, he would like to have a second opinion - which is fair: honest sellers should be supported.  I'm asking on the seller's behalf, but won't tell you now what I told him this is >:D.

A selection of images is reproduced below for later reference (after images are gone from ebay).

PS - if you compare this signature with genuine Daum signatures, one has to admit, whoever faked it, knew what a Daum signature looks like.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
Re: Second opinion wanted
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 09:40:33 PM »
The paperweight in question is modern (very recent) Chinese.  It is a common design/theme and the unpolished irregular base is a hallmark of these weights.

Lily

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline superduperdiscounts

• Members
  • Eric from Bellevue, WA USA
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 11:05:28 PM »
Thank you to all who contributed, submitted and will continue to provide information.  I am the seller of the paperweight and I strive to maintain the highest level of integrity as I have been an ebay seller for over ten years.  When I list an item I base the information in the item description from information provided to me or the result of my own research. 

So, to all I thank you and should you happen to see any of my ebay auctions and should you happen to notice anything incorrect, questionable or alike, please contact me.  But for the fact there are kind people out there to help, I would be none the wiser.

Happy New Year to All,

Eric
superduperdiscounts and snazzy_dresser
Eric - Bellevue, WA USA
eBay Seller Names: Superduperdiscounts and Snazzy_dresser

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 11:28:39 PM »
Although the base is very typical, many of the very recent weights from China (and Taiwan) have bases that are very well finsihed.

The main "hallmark" in weights like this one is the frogs (and other mini beasts such as solid-looking butterflies and geese-like birds).

Weights like this one have been around for well over ten years, so we could use auctioneer terminology like, "... has some age ...".
KevinH

Offline superduperdiscounts

• Members
  • Eric from Bellevue, WA USA
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 12:03:51 AM »
Thank you very much Kev as I appreciate the information.  Eric
Eric - Bellevue, WA USA
eBay Seller Names: Superduperdiscounts and Snazzy_dresser

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 12:52:59 PM »
For what it's worth, I thought modern Chinese immediately. A decorative piece - quite cute.
Nice to see a seller happy to get things right, even if it means the object isn't worth so much in money.
Please, do feel you can stick around, there's a wealth of information here superduperdiscounts!  :thup:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand