No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Glass Aquarium Block  (Read 8909 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Murano Glass Aquarium Block
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 12:18:45 PM »
I reckon if you put it into an internet auction with all the info. you have here, your potential buyers are going to know what they are bidding on.

The pitting on the base should be described - with a good picture. Good pictures are important!

We would also be grateful if you would be good enough to mention the GMB as your source of information - the folk who have answered your queries here really do know what they're talking about (I'm not including myself - your title caught my eye and although I don't collect Italian glass myself, I've always had a sneaky love of Cenedese Aquariums!) :thup:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
A member on another forum schooled me a little about these fish.  I do agree with the Cenedese attribute but as far as Barbini being the maker, I highly doubt it.  A lot of  these sites say Barbini for Cenedese but many of them are not by Barbini at all or they are by Barbini when Barbini worked in his own glass house.  In this case I believe Cenedese is the glass house but Barbini is not the glass designer or maker.  Barbini's fish are more rounded in the body.   

All and all, your glass block is very desirable and should fetch a pretty penny.  It is a fine example. 

tam bam

Offline 55ghost

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 11:41:15 PM »
Thank you for all your help. I will definitely use this link when I sell this on Ebay. I surfed the web last night and there are examples of fish that look like mine that are attributed to Riccardo Licata also. I read on the Barbini Historical Website that he was a "maker" and they named one of his artists as Gino Cenedese. So maybe that is what this is???

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 02:57:23 AM »
Oh, dear. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. Barbini designed for Cenedese in the late 1940s, but I've not heard of Cenedese designing aquaria for Barbini. IMO, the best way to list it would be simply a Murano aquarium, probably by Cenedese.

Are the aquaria selling well on eBay now? Yours is a nice one.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 01:22:01 PM »
I totally agree with Anita on the listing info.  I have seen people bid on murano glass on ebay and retract their bid because of wrong info.  One time the seller didn't know any better and the bidders still retracted their bids, well all of them except for me.  I knew what the piece really was and I bought it pretty cheap.  It was a real bargain for me but I know the seller would have been happy with more money in his pocket. 

tam bam

Offline 55ghost

• Members
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2010, 03:42:06 PM »
I really appreciate all the information and guidance. I am afraid I am a total newbie to Ebay and need all the help I can get. (In fact I got Video Professor lessons on it!) LOL I have decided to clean out a bunch of antique items that simply have no sentimental value to our kids... I only learned about my aquarium by accident. Since we have always lived in rural ranching areas, our art culture is limited! Another big dilemma I will be facing is how I will be able to deliver it safely.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 04:26:15 PM »
If your camera doesn't do close-up, close-up pictures, try to borrow one which does.
Show details of the piece so your potential buyers can see the quality.

As for delivery, it should be wrapped first in tissue paper, then plenty of bubble-wrap - making sure it is completely padded on all six sides. Pack in a sturdy box with stuff to fill the spare spaces - though not too tightly.
Wrap that box in a couple of layers of bubble wrap, then put it into a second box, with space filler.

Yes, it will make a big parcel, yes, postage will be expensive - you'd be best using Special Delivery so that it will be properly insured.
Your potential buyers should all be aware of all these setbacks - and should be happy to accommodate them if they want this piece.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 02:50:17 PM »
(...)it would be simply a Murano aquarium, probably by Cenedese.

I agree at 100%.
Acquaria made at that time were normally unsigned. There were (as it is now) a good tournover of master glassmakers from a company to the other or of masters opening their own company, so you never know of who are really the hands who made one piece.
Generally speaking in my experience I saw 2 kind of (good) acquaria: the ones fully made in the furnace (cenedese, Barbini, but also Singoretto now) and the ones with the fish made by lampwork and than enclosed the massive cristal piece in the furnace (Camozzo, S. Toso, etc.).
Obviously the first ones are much better imho...

Ciao

Alex
www.artofvenice.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand