No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Yellow Fish Paperweight..Murano Label but Unfinished Base  (Read 1139 times)

Offline janettekay

• Members
Yellow Fish Paperweight..Murano Label but Unfinished Base
« on: December 31, 2010, 07:37:46 PM »
hi all
I have a question..this yellow fish paperweight..makes me pause to question....
I have always assumed that Murano PW's would have a polished base..(and as stated on this board...the unpolished usually mean Chinese)...
But this one does have a label..(one posted on the "label thread") and label seems to have been there awhile..not recently added.
Quality seems better than recent Chinese import-incl. gold flakes)

My question..did/do some Murano makers not polish bases?

TIA
janette

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Yellow Fish Paperweight..Murano Label but Unfinished Base
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 08:12:40 PM »
This one is a puzzler. If it did not have the Murano label, I would have thought it Chinese -- not only because of the base that is not completely polished, but also because of the fish floating toward the top of the pw. The label is a contemporary one that I've heard is available to shop owners. I suspect your pw may be one of the ones that were made in China and had a label added by a shop owner. I think this is a good thread to transfer to the paperweight board, because some of the people there know more about these things.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 11:35:50 PM »
I do not know whether 20th century items from Murano sometimes had a ground base, but many 19th century weights did! But the grinding was more transluscent.

However,
... as stated on this board...the unpolished usually mean Chinese ...
is a not a strictly accurate interpretation of things. Lots of Chinese weights have had a rough ground base and often with an indent or two in the "circlular" formation of the base. But in more recent years lots of items from China & Taiwan have a polished base! Also, there have been many makers around the world who have applied a light grinding to the base of weights - particularly studio artists where the full cost of polishing was seen as unnecessary. So, to say "unpolished usually means Chinese" is not really accurate.

As for the fish weight, I agree that it is most likely a Chinese item to which somebody (perhaps an importer or a dealer) has added a generic Murano label. These fish look rather like dolphins and the ones I have seen have been a dark colour (like a dolphin) rather than yellow, but perhaps they were made in many colours.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline janettekay

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 01:07:27 AM »
thank you both !!!   I love learning things here on the board!!--

I purchased this via a charity auction..with inadequate photos (esp of bottom)...knowing that no matter what it was...money (though not an expensive purchase)  went to a good cause !

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand