No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this really made by Baccarat ?  (Read 1162 times)

Offline kuyokuyopom

• Members
Is this really made by Baccarat ?
« on: January 02, 2011, 01:48:01 AM »
Anyone help ! I bought this through the auction, but I am feeling the doubt this is not made by Baccarat. Because I found many bubbles inside, and the quality of shaping. I can see the date cane green "B" with 1970.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
Re: Is this really made by Baccarat ?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 02:50:30 AM »
Hello and let me be the first to WELCOME you to the GMB. :hi:  There are many knowledgeable and friendly people whose expertise covers a wide range in the world of glass.  Before I offer my thoughts on your paperweight, let me say, I am not one of them (particularly knowledgeable, that is). :-[

Yes, your paperweight appears to be genuine Baccarat from what I can tell from the photos.  (They do not enlarge very much.)

There have been several discussions regarding this type of facetting/cut on these paperweights as to whether (or not) the design is original to the weight and, I believe, this is a cut Baccarat has used on some of its weights.  There is always the chance the weight may have been severely modified due to damage.  Maybe someone else can direct you to the other posts.  What is it you are noticing about your weight that leads you to believe it may have been modified?

As far as the bubbles, are they scattered throughout the clear glass or are they on the leaves?  (The ones I see on the leaves are intentional .... dewdrops I believe.

Finally, it looks like your weight has the number 98 on the base which may indicate this is a limited edition and yours is #98.  That's good!

Hope this helps and you can be sure others will be able to say "yea" or "nay" to what is posted above.

Happy New Year .... Lily  :)

Here's a link to a Baccarat weight with a similiar cut.  Click on Fall 2008 auction results and then put 219 in the search box.  Hope it works! :X: 

http://www.selman.com/pwauction/cat_past.html

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 09:59:36 AM »
Hi, this looks like a genuine Baccarat, altho the pictures are a little on the small side to tell for sure.

I have never seen a fake with a date cane, and the facetting is of a type used by B.
The etchmarks are the Baccarat logo and the 98 on a ground circle is a typical feature.

All in all I'd say this is a Baccarat weight.

A better pic of the flower from above would help in making a positive id.

Hope this helps.
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »

Looks genuine to me too. Not all Baccarat weights are absolutely perfect - they are hand made, after all.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline kuyokuyopom

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 10:46:28 PM »
Thank you for your comment Lily !
I have collected the recent Baccarat lumpwork paperweights made in 70's and 80's. As far as I see paperweights I have collected, and comparing with them, I have never seen like this imperfect. But now, I am feeling this is the genuine Baccarat. I have attached the picture of bubbles.
Thank you guys ! A happy new year !

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 11:05:56 PM »
You are very welcome, kuyokuyopom.  It's very disappointing when we get a weight that has a Name as impressive as Baccarat and we find it is not as high-quality as we had expected, especially if we have paid a substantial price for it.  :'( (That has happened to me as well.)   Alan is correct when he says each is handmade and not always perfect.  Perhaps with time those bubbles will be less noticeable to you (they are barely noticeable in the photo).  The very good news is that your weight is absolutely genuine! :hiclp:

I wish you continued success in your paperweight collecting and send best wishes for 2011.

Lily :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand