No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with description on a clown, please.  (Read 2337 times)

Offline jidoba

• Members
    • Grapenut Glass
Help with description on a clown, please.
« on: January 06, 2011, 07:03:02 PM »
It's been a while since I've been here.  It's been a while since I have come across anything "great" as far as Murano goes.  But I snagged this clown a couple of weeks ago &
came here to read & follow links, which has been very helpful.  I found a match to this scary boy on the Murano clowns UK site in the Seguso section; same bowl except for the
shape and the photo had the J.I.Co. gondola sticker as well.

I've been concentrating on other areas of collecting & selling & have let my brain go to mush re: Murano terms.  Would this clown be described as millefiori, or murrina?  There are
foil bits in there also.  Is sommerso the correct word to use, or would 'cased' be more accurate?

Any help is most greatly appreciated!
Karla

Offline tam bam

• Members
Re: Help with description on a clown, please.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 08:42:36 PM »
Hi:

It appears that your clown is made by JI Import Co.  I would call it murrina and not millefiori.  Yes, the clown is probably cased in a layer of clear glass, but it is not in the sommerso technique.

tam bam

Offline jidoba

• Members
    • Grapenut Glass
Re: Help with description on a clown, please.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 01:01:20 AM »
Thank you!
Karla

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand