No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chippendale glass  (Read 22459 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Chippendale glass
« on: October 04, 2004, 01:19:46 AM »
I have a small collection of Chippendale glass, which I've been collecting since my grandmother gave me a candlestick when I was about 8 years old. I'd love to know if there are any surviving catalogues of Chippendale and where they may be seen. My collection is currently packed away as we're having some work done on the house and I don't want it damaged, but when it's unpacked again I'm going to photograph each piece and create a little webspace about them, so a catalogue would give me extra info for the pieces. Can anyone help please?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline ChrisStewart

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.cloudglass.com
Chippendale glass
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 12:29:03 PM »
Hi Anne,

I know of two chippendale catalgues. One is 1935 (i think) by George Davidson and Co and lists the Chippendale styles they made. A copy of this catalogue may still be available from the Shipley Art Gallery, Gateshead.

The other is a reproduction ot an early American catalogue (cannot remember which year). This is available on Ebay.

Regards

Chris
from Chris Stewart

http://www.cloudglass.com - The Cloud Glass Reference Site
http://www.davidson-glass.com - Information on Davidson Glass

All images (c) Chris and Val Stewart unless otherwise stated

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Chippendale glass
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 11:43:02 PM »
Thanks Chris, I'm following up on the eBay one and shall contact Shipley Art Gallery about theirs as it's not listed in their online shop.
I appreciate your help greatly.

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
Chippendale glass
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 07:30:39 AM »
Hi Anne
Have you had any luck with Chippendale Catalogues, I tried the Shipley Art Gallery, no luck, lots of excuses. Have you seen a web site called Kristol-Kabinet? worth a look. there is also a Book on Kristol.
I collect G Davidson (all of it!!), I have a few pieces of Chippendale my self, there is another Kristol pattern called Colonial which can be confusing as it is very much like Chippendale.

Have you got yours unpacked yet and can we see the web site soon?
I will try and take photos of mine and put a link to my photo album.

Tony H.

Frank
Can we sort out this log on thing? Plesae.

Tony H.

Anonymous

Chippendale glass
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 08:32:27 AM »
Good morning Anne/ Tony H

I'm positive I bought a copy of the Chippendale catalogue early in the 90's...it might take me a couple of days to find it and if you wish I could scan it and send to you as an email attachment....let me know please

Regards

Gareth

Morgan48

Anonymous

Chippendale glass
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2005, 08:43:01 AM »
Hi Gareth
Thank you for your reply.
I would be very pleased if you could find it, I would love a copy, thank you

Tony H

Sorry I forgot to log in.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Chippendale glass
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005, 11:10:55 AM »
Hi Tony,

Also no luck with Shipley :(

Glass is now unpacked and awaiting photographing - it has had to wait until I finished the latest play as that's eaten all my spare time! ;)  Hopefully I should be able to get it done soon and then I'll add it to my Glass Gallery Album.

I think one of the pieces I bought as Chippendale may be the Colonial pattern - it's a cheese dish and the handle is rounded rather than angular - I have 2 photos of it here: http://www.yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?album=11&pos=5 and here: http://www.yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?album=11&pos=4  
I'd appreciate your opinion of it.

Hi Gareth,

Oh yes please! I would love a copy if it's at all possible, and thank you very much for the offer. :)

Offline Morgan48

• Members
Chippendale glass
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2005, 12:05:51 PM »
Good morning Anne ? Tony

The catalogue is where I actually thought it was...which is an extremely rare occurance these days.
It consists of 18 pages with typical Davidsons basic line drawings. A few of the pages are a little lop-sided ( blame Nick Dolan for that ) but a very useful reference item though.
Once I've scanned them I'll be able to determine the file sizes without compromising the detail. Do you have broadband??..if not I may need to send these to you on a cd rom.

Anne
Your cheese dish appears identical to the Chippendale patterns 1100 ( 8.5 inches long) or 1552 ( 7 inches long ). Other than the dimensions they are of the same design.

Regards

Gareth

Morgan48

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Chippendale glass
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2005, 12:35:38 PM »
Hi Gareth,

Yes I have broadband so filesizes aren't a problem for me at all, thank you for asking though. Do you want an e-mail address now or when you've scanned it?

Thanks also for checking out my cheese dish, the handle had me thinking it may have been Colonial rather than Chippendale, so it's good to have you confirm the style for me.

I just measured the dish base and it's almost 7" long by 5.7" wide at the widest part, so I guess it's the 1552 pattern. It's absolutely perfect as well, not a mark or flaw anywhere, and was one of my eBay bargains last year. I shall have to relocate the pictures into the Chippendale section of the gallery now. :)

Offline Morgan48

• Members
Chippendale glass
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2005, 12:46:30 PM »
Hi Anne

once I,ve scanned ir will be fine.

Regards

Gareth

Morgan48