No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help!!! - GHEW - paperweight  (Read 3554 times)

Offline Liz1

• Members
Help!!! - GHEW - paperweight
« on: January 05, 2011, 10:32:21 PM »
Please anyone help me identify a paperweight that I have as it looks a bit like Whitefriars but has GHEW in the centre.  I cannot find anything on the internet anywhere about this GHEW.

I would have put a picture on here but it said that the file was too big as it was 167 KB sorry!!

Just worked it out!!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Help!!! - GHEW - paperweight
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 12:03:29 AM »
I am almost certain that the centre cane reads GHBW.  The only Google reference is to Greater Houston Baring Witness who have a website at http://www.baringwitness.org/Houston.htm.

I suspect this is NOT the originator but perhaps they used these as a fundraiser.  More likely is it commemorates George Herbert Bridges Ward (see Google).  Unlikely also is Grubbs Hoskyn Barton & Wyatt.

First Impression is that it is a Whitefriars weight made as a special - perhaps as a fundraiser or a commemorative piece.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 08:58:35 AM »
Hi Ross does the base have a central button with an outer ring the weight looks like W/Fs and they did do a lot of weights like that . jp

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 09:26:44 AM »
Hi

Without a doubt Whitefriars 1950's

It would go very nicely with 130 of its brothers if you wish to sell  :rah: :rah: :rah:

Roy

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 10:13:05 AM »
Wow! Roy.   I have c. 130 Australian Pwts form 65 different artists - but 130 from the one maker - I am in awe.  Have you put pictures of them up on the yobunny site?  I would love to see the range you obviously have.

Ross

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 10:35:50 AM »
Hi

I must admit I have not put my Photos on any site for a number of years and I wouldn't know where to begin.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I do have Photos of them all but they are rather high definition taken on a 7 mpixel  camera which seem to take a long time to download.

Roy

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 11:03:35 AM »
Roy I use a Nikon D80 (10mp).  I open the pictures in Microsoft Office Picture Manager.  I then use edit pictures and crop the original photo as I want to and Save As ... a separate name so I retain the original in case I wish to do something else with it later.  I must then move to the picture I have just saved or I will damage the original. 

I then edit the new picture by "Resize" - at this point you must finish with an image where both dimensions are less than 1000 or the upload won't work. 

So experiment with percentages until the "New Size" is satisfactory.  Now save the picture(Ctrl S).  After that occurs move the cursor onto the picture and the size(in Kbs) will show up.  To be able upload it must be <200Kbs.  So at this stage you may need to resize to make the picture smaller.  Do this gradually and you will, find that after a while you get good at guessing an appropriate percentage.

So now the dimensions should both be less than 1000 anmd the size < 200Kb and you can upload and label you photos.  If you want to be able to put them on the GMB simple resize them (I use a separate name for that) to be < 125kbs,

Ross

PS   I you want to look at much of my collection I am on page 10 of the Youbunny site under my same user name

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 11:32:23 AM »
Thanks. I will look into it

Roy

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 01:02:27 PM »
Meanwhile, back to the paperweight.  When Brian Slingsby and Judy Taylor were putting the Whitefriars book together, sample of these 50's weights were shown (including those mentioned below).  The main ones of this type that are seen are the fairly common coronation weights that show EIIR, and the less common Triplex.
Both of these are done by taking a central button which is blue over white and scratching the letters/numbers onto it before it is set into the weight.   I have one which has three initials, and someone has one with 1954 (I think off the top of my head).  The suggestion was that the factory were not averse to turning out the odd weight with intials (although whether these were official, done for staff, done as friggers - who knows!) , and so it is very likely that GHEW was just a person's initials. It is not known how many of these there may be. I have only seen a couple over the last 10 years so they are very rare 
Martin

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 01:49:18 PM »
Hi

I have the 1954.

I have also seen ROYAL VISIT and VERA

I aso think it is someones initials at the factory or for a friend.

Roy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand