No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Northwood carnival 'peacocks at the fountain' punch bowl base - colour?  (Read 2555 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I bought this to use as a stand for a pottery bowl but it doesn't work.  I am having a clear out and was going to list it but I wanted to check this is just plain marigold?  I got  confused as it's quite a subtle pretty colour and not like the only piece of marigold I had given to me years ago (which was quite a bit more orangey and shiny).
So I thought it might have been opalescent especially looking at the base bit where it flairs out to the base rim and actually does look opalescent.  However I think now that is just the iridescent effect on the glass?  I've been through various previous posts and found a fantastic thread from Glen which explains why it might have clear rim at the top and I think I have found out why part of it is quite iridescent and glossy (from just below the rim down to wear the peacock tails are it starts to flair out) and why that part is a bit more 'satin finish'.  So, is it Marigold please?  ;D
many thanks for any help
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Northwood carnival 'peacocks at the fountain' punch bowl base - colour?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 07:54:59 PM »
The colour of carnival glass is usually based on the colour of the underlying glass not the iridescence, but marigold is always clear glass, as are clambroth, white and some smoke.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 07:57:47 PM »
Yes, it is certainly marigold. But there's a whole range of marigold "effects" on Carnival Glass and they are often misunderstood. In a nutshell, marigold is an orange (ferric chloride) iridescence on clear base glass, but a range of variables (such as temperature of the glass) can alter the appearance. There's a middle of the road marigold that is most often seen. It can be flat and often shiny and not too interesting. But there are also some STUNNING marigold effects that really can blow your mind.

Northwood and Inwald (in my opinion) produced the very best marigolds. If you go to this page on my website and mouse over the images you will see two very different marigolds.

http://www.thistlewoods.net/Northwood-Gallery.html

Second from the left is a pastel marigold Good Luck, while 4th in from the right is a pumpkin marigold Poppy Show plate. Click the images and they will open up a little bigger. These two effects are ones that are really sought after but are not seen too often. Inwald made some amazing marigold that was consistently breathtaking.

But it has to be said that an awful lot of marigold was not quite so mind blowing - and it was, of course, the most popular Carnival colour in its day (it really must have glowed against the dark furniture). Your punch bowl base isn't opalescent, it's marigold - and yes, sometimes there are clear sections on the glass where the flint glass base can be seen. Northwood made very little peach opalescent Carnival (which is the name for opalescence on marigold) - the masters of that colour were Dugan/Diamond and Fenton (imho).

Hope this helps a bit. I think your piece is marigold that goes somewhat "satiny" toward the bottom. Very pretty.

Here's a pic of a pastel marigold bowl that is one of my favourites - just to show you how amazing marigold really can be.

Glen

Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
Thank you both very much   :)   and Glen also for your further detailed explanation.  I just wanted to be sure I was listing it correctly as I guess, if someone wants it, it would be very disappointing if it turned up and didn't match.
Glen, I had a look at your fab site last night after your post about the tumblers - I have to say I love the darker amethyst carnival colours and also the greens, I am not so keen on the opalescents  :ooh: but that said my preference on your link would be the leaf and beads aqua opal, perhaps because I love that shape as well.  There is a huge range of 'marigold' isn't there?  I definitely prefer the more subtle versions and what I liked about this stand is that it is quite satiny and the sheen is on the peacock and the fountain, which makes for a beautiful effect. 

thanks again - your help is much appreciated.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand