No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hi New member here , can anyone help me in identifying this  (Read 2895 times)

Offline dottydot359

• Members
Hi New member here , can anyone help me in identifying this
« on: January 06, 2006, 05:23:44 PM »
http://tinypic.com/jsd2eh.jpg alt="Image hosted by TinyPic.com">

It stands 13 inches high, the base measures 3.5 inches across and the top measures 2.5 inches across. It is clear glass that looks as if it has been pulled while still hot to make the sort of ripples on it  and it has streaks of either black or dark purple inside the glass.It is also very heavy weighing over 3kg. I have more pics if needed and any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanka
Dot

P.S. i hope i added the pic ok lol :shock:

Mod: The images from this post have vanished. If you started this thread and you still have the pictures, please let the moderators know so that we can restore them. To add pictures to your posts permanently, the GMB recommends either using the 'attach' facility when posting, or using The Glass Gallery. See the GMB guide to adding pictures to your posts for more.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 05:31:14 PM »
Hi Dot & Welcome
Yes I would say you are correct that it was hot-worked and "pulled" into it's final shape.
I suspect that your eyes no not deceive you and that the streaks are indeed deep purple / amethyst.
I believe that very weighty vases like this have been made in Poland.
This one doesn't look as though it has a lot of age: does it have any base wear ? Is the base polished ? or just ground (frosty looking) ?
Peter
Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline dottydot359

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 05:36:59 PM »
Hi Peter
Thank you, the base is frosty looking and it has quite a few scratches on it, it was suggested to me it might be Dutch , where could i find examples of polish glass and is there a market for it ?
Thanks
Dot

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 05:47:55 PM »
quite a few scratches on it

Ok maybe older than I thought ....your photo is at rather an awkward angle. :roll: ...well thats my excuse

Dutch
Ok I know what that person is thinking: Max Verboeket for Maastricht glass ....a possibility but the ground (frosty) base makes me doubt that and indeed suggests not Polish either.

How about some more pics of it ??
Pete

Offline dottydot359

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 06:12:46 PM »
http://tinypic.com/jsdl75.jpg alt="Image hosted by TinyPic.com">

http://tinypic.com/jsdlra.jpg alt="Image hosted by TinyPic.com">

http://tinypic.com/jsdm3p.jpg alt="Image hosted by TinyPic.com">

Here are a few more pics Peter , I hope it helps lol , I must say it is a very striking and tactile piece and i wish i could capture it better on camera

Thanks
Dot

Offline dottydot359

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 06:53:52 PM »
oh just one other silly little thing, although the base looks frosty when dry it looks clear when wet , so unsure if polished or not

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 12:12:36 PM »
although the base looks frosty when dry it looks clear when wet , so unsure if polished or not

Dot, it's NOT polished

Now I don't know for sure that Maastricht polished their bases but I would be surprised if they didn't, so it's unlikely to be by them. Maybe when they are around Ivo or Della can say. Here are some Max Verboeket designed vases http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=Verboeket+&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&start=20&sa=N and I don't see anything quite like yours.

Italian (Murano) would have been another possibility but Murano bases are always polished to a mirror finish to my knowledge. Ditto Poland as far as I know. So that leaves China or Another country. I did not think China was producing this kind of glass but it's possible. Sorry thats as far as I can go.
Pete

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 01:01:24 PM »
Hi Dot & welcome.  :lol:
The bases that I have seen on the pieces by Max Verboeket, have all been polished and mostly signed. Compared to the vases here for sale in Holland and the ones that I have handled, attributed to Max Verboeket, yours seems on the "chunky" side.
Sorry that I cannot be of more help. :cry:
Ivo is going to be the best person to answer this one, I think.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline dottydot359

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 03:45:47 PM »
Thank you all so very much for your comments.It looks like a bit of a mystery then lol , I hope Ivo will notice the thread when he comes back and maybe he can throw some light on it.

Thanks again
Dot

p.s do any of you know anything about vaseline or uranium glass ( not sure of the difference sorry ) , as i have a large item that glows beautifully under uv light but know nothing else about it .I can post pics if someone would like to see it

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 03:48:53 PM »
I suggest that you take a photo of your piece and post it in a new thread.
I am sure Mr Vaseline glass will be able to help you. :wink:  :wink:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand