No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Sommerso Uranium Vase?  (Read 8357 times)

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
Murano Sommerso Uranium Vase?
« on: January 07, 2011, 07:15:21 AM »
I saw this on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Red-Cased-Art-Glass-Vase-/160519779768?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item255fb975b8 and obv recognize it but I don't know the exact details or the value. I do think the charity that is selling it is losing out unless they change the description. Does anyone have anything more precise than "Murano Sommerso Uranium Vase" for a description. Any idea of value?

thanks very much
Julie

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Murano Sommerso Uranium Vase?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 07:26:30 AM »
Why uranium?

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 07:40:46 AM »
Isn't that greenish yellowish layer around the red uranium?
Julie

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 07:45:20 AM »
No, its amber. These things usually find their value, as everything has a gallery picture these days.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 11:28:21 AM »
Nice piece - shame it's got a bit of damage - but hope the hospice get a decent price.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

shugdens

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 05:43:42 PM »
I list them as ''Murano Sommerso Seguso Flavio Ploli Cased Facet Vase'' to be exact.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 06:45:24 PM »
Murano and sommerso are correct!!

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 02:56:37 AM »
I list them as ''Murano Sommerso Seguso Flavio Ploli Cased Facet Vase'' to be exact.

This vase doesn't look like Flavio Poli to me. It looks more like the recent vases made by several companies to me.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 08:47:57 AM »
Thanks everyone for the info. I did contact them and they've relisted it with a better description. No opinions about value? just curious.

Anita, what about it looks different? To my untutored eye it looks like the vintage ones I've seen.

I've bought a few bargains on ebay when the seller didn't know what they had (eg a Victorian hyacinth vase for 99p) and I didn't tell them any different! but I felt as it was a charity I should speak up.

thanks, Julie
Julie

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 02:09:19 PM »
That is a good question, Julie. It made me really think about the vase. Sommerso is something I usually stay away from. The thing that made me favor a more recent piece is that there are so many vases that are made that look like this. Several companies make them. Red with yellow are common colors. So in the absence of anything, such as clear lines between layers, that definitely points to Poli, it is more accurate to leave the attribution at simply Murano. eBay has had a bad effect on the name Poli. Any layered sommerso object is attributed to him on eBay.

There is one thing distinctive about the vase discussed in this thread. The outer glass is blue instead of clear. I did not really note that until I checked back. I hope there is a layered sommerso person reading who has some ideas on who made these vases with blue glass.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand