No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Sommerso Uranium Vase?  (Read 8365 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Murano Sommerso Uranium Vase?
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 03:18:26 PM »
I have a triple sommerso vase with faceted sides and the outer layer is a pale pinky brown which matches the darker pinky brown inner layer. I suspect Mandruzatto for mine and probably for this one. They do a square one and it seems that they mostly change the colour schemes rather than the shapes for these sorts of things http://www.mandruzzato.ve.it/Home_Eng.asp

shugdens

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 03:33:35 PM »
That is a good question, Julie. It made me really think about the vase. Sommerso is something I usually stay away from. The thing that made me favor a more recent piece is that there are so many vases that are made that look like this. Several companies make them. Red with yellow are common colors. So in the absence of anything, such as clear lines between layers, that definitely points to Poli, it is more accurate to leave the attribution at simply Murano. eBay has had a bad effect on the name Poli. Any layered sommerso object is attributed to him on eBay.

There is one thing distinctive about the vase discussed in this thread. The outer glass is blue instead of clear. I did not really note that until I checked back. I hope there is a layered sommerso person reading who has some ideas on who made these vases with blue glass.
you wouldnt know until you had it in your hand to be honest. I've sold a couple identical to this as Poli as well as several of the more diamond shape. This is the more common one that crops up.
I think I've one of these with a chiped rim in one of my storages if memory serves me right.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 05:10:46 PM »
I don't think it is Alessandro Mandruzzato, because his vases have a square inner opening to the mouth. However, it might be his father Luigi Mandruzzato. The father had the circular opening in at least some of his vases. Campanella, Bucella, V Nason, and others made similar vases. I hoped someone would recognize the blue casing glass to narrow down the list of possibilities.

I am a definite show-me person. I rarely trust attributions unless someone can show me a label, a signature, or documentation --that is unless the person doing the attributing is an expert. I particularly don't trust attributions if a vessel is a common form, such as the one in this thread. Someone would have to convince me it was Poli before I would consider a Poli price.

There are certain names, e.g. Poli and Martens, that are put on eBay so much that I've learned to totally ignore them. The object is to increase the price of the piece to people who don't know any different. A merchant or seller owes it to their customers to do the research and not to attribute because something looks like it might be designed by someone. IMO, if a piece cannot be documented, then it should simply be sold as Murano glass and let the buyer use their own imagination.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

shugdens

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 05:39:42 PM »
There are certain names, e.g. Poli and Martens, that are put on eBay so much that I've learned to totally ignore them. The object is to increase the price of the piece to people who don't know any different. A merchant or seller owes it to their customers to do the research and not to attribute because something looks like it might be designed by someone. IMO, if a piece cannot be documented, then it should simply be sold as Murano glass and let the buyer use their own imagination.
I got to the stage with alot of glass that I'd just stick 'style' in the title then in the description list the posible atributions unless I could be 95% certain.
When your making a living on ebay you have to sell to pay your bills & sometimes your in a catch 22 situation. Fortunately I'm mainly a market trader so can have endless conversations trying to atribute a piece whilst selling it.

If a seller genuinely beleves a piece to be what they think it is they cant be falted on that but should always describe how they came to that conclusion as I always do. I think this also ads to the joy of buying & selling glass & ceramics. It can work both ways as a buyer can end up with an steal...

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 07:32:27 PM »
I just did a quick search for Poli under Glass in eBay. There were 53 glass listings. There were 7 of these that might be Poli. I'm not sure about many of them, but they were good enough to be Seguso VdA. Someone may want to duplicate my efforts and see what they come up with.

Keyword spamming and deliberate misleading of buyers has a couple of consequences, one direct and one indirect. The direct being the buyer is not getting what he/she is lead to believe. The indirect is that is that it lowers the value of the real stuff. People lose their faith in the attribution, and also come to think of the designer as being very common. Some companies, e.g. Tiffany, fight back at people who would smear their brand. The family of Fulvio Bianconi went after eBay for a while. Unfortunately, most companies do not invest resources in protecting their names.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

shugdens

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 08:02:18 PM »
I just did a quick search for Poli under Glass in eBay. There were 53 glass listings. There were 7 of these that might be Poli. I'm not sure about many of them, but they were good enough to be Seguso VdA. Someone may want to duplicate my efforts and see what they come up with.

Keyword spamming and deliberate misleading of buyers has a couple of consequences, one direct and one indirect. The direct being the buyer is not getting what he/she is lead to believe. The indirect is that is that it lowers the value of the real stuff. People lose their faith in the attribution, and also come to think of the designer as being very common. Some companies, e.g. Tiffany, fight back at people who would smear their brand. The family of Fulvio Bianconi went after eBay for a while. Unfortunately, most companies do not invest resources in protecting their names.
its not just Ebay I bought a job lot of described as '9 Italian colourded art glass vases bowls & ashtrays' as far as I can tell two were Italian one which I described as Seguso sommerso & as far as I'm conserned was Seguso & sommerso. The second I described just as Tripple cased Murano of a high quality Murano factory posibly Seguso or Tosso. This one went for quite a high price considering.
The rest were all Czech one of which I sold as Beranek and was 90% sure of that.

Auction houses seem to describe any 60s coloured glass as Italian or venitian, some oth the pieces I've seen sold as whitefriars at auction sales has been a joke as well. The WF comunity would be going mental...

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 09:03:55 PM »
What name do you sell under?
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

shugdens

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 11:07:23 PM »
What name do you sell under?
Shugden Antiques I dont just sell glass, glass is just my favrote medium & what i have most intrest in.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 06:11:01 AM »
None of these type of vases are by Poli and I will avoid these like the plague.

I agree with TX. Do a ebay hit for Poli and you will only ever get less than a handful at any one time that are by him.

shugdens

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 07:13:41 AM »
None of these type of vases are by Poli and I will avoid these like the plague.

I agree with TX. Do a ebay hit for Poli and you will only ever get less than a handful at any one time that are by him.

How would you describe this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350422908244

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand