No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Petr Hora for Skrdlovice, ball shaped? ID = Petr Hora for Skrdlovice/Beranek  (Read 2789 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Bought this ball shaped vase today, very thick brown glass with pink decoration. Diameter appr. 14cm.
As my knowledge on Czech glass is getting better every day :) I am sure this one was designed by Petr Hora for Skrdlovice.
2 things I don't know:
Opposite to other examples with this pattern mine is really ball shaped, not flattened or zylindric like the others I have seen so far (both on the www and in the Skrdlovice- and Beranek catalogues on Jindrich's site). And it doesn't have the clear glass base either.
Does this give a hint when it was produced?
And I couldn't find the year when these were actually designed...

TIA,
Michael

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: Petr Hora for Skrdlovice, ball shaped?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 06:57:02 PM »
As you say definitely a Petr Hora for Skrdlovice design. An unusual shape for this pattern though. He designed the pattern in 1983-1984. Though I think this ball vase was maybe a later addition to the other shapes, initially a tall vase, ashtray and a wide, vaguely pear shaped one.... He is an interesting designer, still working in glass today and has a website etc.. He was an important designer for Skrdlovice, even becoming director of the factory after Mr Svoboda left, although he provided some designs as an independent designer long before then, in the 1970's too.

Rocco, you do have a nice Skrdlovice collection!

Robert (bOBA)

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
This shape is not known to me, but I am sure you are true. I will ask Petr Hora how it was with this not documented shape.
Seems to me that it was created in Vlastimil Beranek era after 1992.

Jindrich
www.ces-sklo.cz

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 09:57:09 PM »
Robert and Jindrich,
thank you once more for being so nice and helpful!
I have looked through the Beranek and Skrdlovice catalogues (also the most recent), and couldn't find this shape, so I became curious...

The pear-shaped ones I have seen, but those have a clear casing as well, whereas mine is made entirely of brown glass.

Robert, my Skrdlovice collection is still small, but getting bigger in scaringly short time -- it only started some weeks ago :)
I guess Vienna is a good place to hunt for Czech glass!

Best wishes
Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand