No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Archimede Seguso Lamp Base...  (Read 5957 times)

shugdens

Re: Archimede Seguso Lamp Base...
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 01:57:41 PM »
I sure wish I could live where you are Shugdens.  Where I live you are lucky to stumble across a generic piece of Murano and usually (if the person knows what it is) they want a lot for it because it is "Murano".  I saw a generic ashtray in an antique shop and they wanted $45 for it.  I looked at the lady and said any lower and she said no because it is Murano.  I wanted to laugh myself out the door. 

tam bam
I'm a full time dealer & out at fairs, auctions, flea markets & bootsales every day. I also do the ocasional house clearance & never drive past a good looking skip without having a rummage (i've found gold in one before now) :24:

Some of the funny coments i've hered from charity shop women about murano I could write a book on. ''its antique Merinio glass that'' ''Its signed Murano that, its got a sticker on'' ''its very valuble italian glass that, we want £3 for it, no less'' ect ect most of its chinese...

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 02:13:03 AM »
My one piece of Murano (as yet unidentified as to maker) was sold to me as Monart!  :sc:  :24:

Carolyn

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 07:23:20 AM »
Carolyn, why do you only have one piece of Murano???... :huh:

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 02:11:06 AM »
Carolyn, why do you only have one piece of Murano???... :huh:

Because, with all due respect to my best buds here at the GMB  :rah: , I don't collect glass, I collect Scottish  :sc: kitsch. So I did not know a Murano from a milk bottle (and apparently, neither did my step-mother-in-law). So I started to explore to find out if it really was a Monart, found the GMB and turned out to be a GMB addict!  :thup:

I later did buy two small baskets that are damaged, but the price was right.

Carolyn

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 06:29:46 AM »
Ah ok...LOL...you should be at least one really nice piece! So after all this time, still no glass addiction creeping in?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 07:32:27 AM »
Only passive addiction: Carolyn is addicted to our addiction and now probably knows much more than she realises about glass.  :kissy:

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 01:03:16 AM »
I know enough that it scares the pants off me to attempt to purchase any  :24: And I know where I will take any visitors that come to visit me from the GMB. New glass art, old glass, you name it.  :thup:

Carolyn

shugdens

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 02:14:22 AM »
I know enough that it scares the pants off me to attempt to purchase any  :24: And I know where I will take any visitors that come to visit me from the GMB. New glass art, old glass, you name it.  :thup:

Carolyn
I say that G-d sent me an eye for glass, I'd been made redundant & sold my star wars collection on ebay to make ends meet. i went to a massive house clearence center looking for more bits to sell & bought a nice looking 60s vase for 50p & i found out it was ''scandinavian'' & it sold for £15. I did a bit more study & found out it was from a company called Riihimaki & a designer called Tammara Aladin. I bought a couple of cheep millers guides on glass & went back to the center & spotted a big vase with a leaping salmon mark that I recognised & worked out I could make a living at this... I'm still at it 7 years later.

The center is still there but they now have 'spotters' working for them because me & a co dealer were litraly getting %50 of our stock from there. One morning I walked out of there with a solid silver art deco cigar case for £1. I cant blame them to be honest...

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 12:13:37 AM »
Hi Kane nice lamp. I guess the 3rd label is the stock label it is only white paper and goes early. I have a couple of pieces with the SL still intact. Nice buy in OZ as they mostly sell for about 100-140 depending on colour. I watched one about a year ago and was out to dinner when it didn't sell with a starting price of $15. Gave myself an uppercut for not putting it on bidnapper.

Hope Archimede Seguso lamps are selling as I am told I have to downsize my collection of lamps. Think I will just lay low and hope it goes away.

BTW did you see the large (14"?) waves with 2 red dolphins on Oz ebay that sold for $260? I thought it was beautiful and I don't go for animal glass.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 06:11:08 AM »
Thanks ardy, the 3rd label is the stock label. The label is still intacked but unreadable. I was expecting about $120 for this piece, so was lucky I got it cheaper. Didn't see the dolphin auction. I usually breeze through all the glass sections looking for 1 or 2 pieces at a time. Animals I seem to bypass although I am on the lookout for a huge SVdA dolphin to purchase. Preferably with a label. Guess I will be waiting years for that to occur!

The good thing it goes so well with my SVdA clear glass and gold foil bowls...they look stunning together!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand