No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bought in San Marco Square  (Read 4805 times)

Offline greenacres_2

• Members
    • Identification
    • Philadelphia
Bought in San Marco Square
« on: January 10, 2011, 02:24:14 AM »
I bought this 10 years ago. They told me they were going to discontinue the style. Was that true?

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Bought in San Marco Square
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 11:35:43 PM »
It depends on what they meant by "the style."  Probably the safest answer might be, generally, not true, as there are still pieces being made out of murrines in this shape with these handles. How could they possibly say that no other company was going to make something like this. If, however,  they mean style as in exactly the same murrines as in your piece, it might be true. I don't recognize the murrines so I can't comment. I'm not commenting on the quality of you piece, btw.

My take would be that the statement was a sale come on and nothing more. Some Venetian stores and companies are known for high pressure sales tactics. I'll add that there's more a few that are still very pleasant to deal with. Do you mind saying who you bought it from?

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline greenacres_2

• Members
    • Identification
    • Philadelphia
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 11:56:29 PM »
I bought to different pieces. I bought a huge vase from where you take the tour in San Marco Square, which I assume is that main factory or museum, and this vase I think I paid $200.00 in a small shop near the church ? and Co. I just can't remember. I will check with someone who I went with and see if they remember.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 12:00:55 AM »
Yes, there are a number of stores there so it would be hard to remember. Does it have a label on it?  If so what writing and numbers are on the label?

David

Offline greenacres_2

• Members
    • Identification
    • Philadelphia
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 12:07:58 AM »
Pauley & Co.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 02:09:41 AM »
Pauly have a store right on the square and are a long established Murano company. Although they made some of their glass themselves, they are also well known for selling glass commissioned from other companies. They are a well-regarded company so it's likely your piece is good quality.

David

Offline greenacres_2

• Members
    • Identification
    • Philadelphia
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 02:17:04 AM »
Thank you. I cherish this vase. I was curious if you think it held it's value.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 08:50:30 PM »
I think you've done very well in terms of it holding its value. There are two factors here. The first is that Murano/Venice can be the most expensive place to buy Murano pieces. The second is that Murano prices have gone down in value in last few years. In other words, you have two factors going against you, and yet I think the price you paid was a very reasonable price for a very nice piece of glass. For me, it would be a cherished memory of a visit to a wonderful place, as, I suspect, it is  for you. Personally, I wouldn't be concerned about resale value, but I would be happy knowing that I bought a wonderful thing at a reasonable price.

I hope this helps.

David

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 09:24:02 PM »
I thought your lovely vase was so beautiful  Greenacres_2, that I tried Googling Pauley & Co, to see what else they may have for sale, and discovered this link which is only related in as much as it has a Pauley & Co label on it. It is listed as being Murano glass,  but I am certain it is Exbor.....could they really have made this mistake, or did the Murano glass blowers really make this gorgeous hedgehog?
Here is the link:
http://www.moltabellaglass.com/items/754419/item754419store.html#item

Langhaugh is it really a Pauley & Son piece of Murano glass?
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 12:45:45 AM »
Thanks for the link, Rosieposie.  The Pauly & C. hedgehog is making me drool over here.  I believe it is Pauly & C. or rather another company and they sold it (Pauley & C. sold glass for other companies and they also made their own glass). The Pauly & C hedgehog is special and unusual at the same time.  You see the effect that was used on the hedgehog is called battuto (Murano used this effect and so did other countries).  Battuto is a very desirable effect and usually when you find the battuto pieces you are going to pay a premium price.

The vase in this thread appears to be really well made.  I for one would be extremly proud to own it.  I wouldn't worry about the price because I agree with David, I think the price was very reasonable.  The murrines are very defined and not smeared.  To make these kinds of pieces without the murrines looking distorted means quality.  

tam bam

P.S. - May we see the label on your bowl Greenacres_2?   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand