No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a murano bird/rooster?  (Read 4166 times)

Offline buttonfluff

• Members
Is this a murano bird/rooster?
« on: January 11, 2011, 08:26:54 PM »
I found this today and thought it was worth a space on my shelf,i thought it looked like murano but would like an opinion please.??.   its 3 inches tall by the tail the head has a green tint and theres aventurine throughout-the base is nicley polished so any info would be great --------thankyou ....
xx ...Kerryn... xx

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Is this a murano bird/rooster?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 05:28:37 AM »
Definitely Murano. I've seen this bird before. I am trying to track it down. It is Archimede Seguso, AVeM, or Barbini if I remember correctly -- I just can't remember which one for sure. I believe A. Seguso.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline buttonfluff

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 08:22:30 AM »
I had a search and can see a resemblence to barbini but the tail looks more seguso from the pictures ive seen and that green coloured head ,it be great if you come accross it any ideas of the age?
xx ...Kerryn... xx

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 09:59:43 AM »
Hello Kerryn,  you are my type of collector. :sun: 

I am sure this is Murano, and these are VERY similar.

http://www.antiquehelper.com/item/337891

Nice to meet another Hampshire member. :hi:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline buttonfluff

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 08:27:14 PM »
Hi nice to meet you :) thanks for the link ,they are very similar birds especially the colour ..itd be nice if mine had that kind of value on it haha.. had another look online but cant find an identicle example for reference yet but i will keep looking .thankyou
xx ...Kerryn... xx

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 11:38:42 PM »
I know nothing about these birds - I just looked in to the thread before shifting it to the Murano forum.

But is it significant in any way, for a maker ID, that Kerryn's cockerel (I assume that what it is) has no wings (poor thing)?
KevinH

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 12:25:27 AM »
no Kevin, it doesn't detract from the design of the bird.

i have definitely seen this bird before but can't for the life of me remember where.

on a side note, what is the piece behind it, to the left ? looks interesting
martin

Offline buttonfluff

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 08:05:27 AM »
I didnt even think of the wings before ive only just noticed :)   and thankyou ....... the piece on the left is a barbini bird of paradise in uranium and tangerine red (my fav )..still trying to find more reference to the bird of paradise too.
xx ...Kerryn... xx

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 03:55:46 PM »
I would bet A. Seguso also.  The tail feathers, beak and eyes look like his style.  I wouldn't worry much about the wings.  The bird appears to be at rest and therefore the wings were not included in the design.  I have many birds that do not have wings either.  It is just the design because they are at rest.

As far as your Barbini bird, is this it?

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/rare-vintage-alfredo-barbini-murano-bird-of

I just adore Barbini's birds of paradise.  I have been wanting one or two of them for years now.  I once saw a couple of them in a store (they were lavender & gold), but didn't get them and now I am kicking myself for not buying them.  They are gorgeous birds.  

tam bam

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 04:15:19 PM »
I just remembered that I posted an A. Seguso bird for another forum member on Fossilfly yesterday.  It is the gold bird at the bottom of the post.  I see similarities to your bird and mine. 

http://www.fossilfly.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=3278

tam bam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand