No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Strathness paperweight?  (Read 1305 times)

Offline Jos

• Members
Strathness paperweight?
« on: January 18, 2011, 10:05:25 AM »
I have recently inherited a large paperweight collection and trying to get a better understanding of what exactly I have. Currently I am trying identify if one of the weights is a strathern - Clear glass millefiori weight made up of 18 off white canes with black centres divided in pairs by 2 strands of muslin, the second circle of nine black and blue canes are situated between the outside off white pairs of canes and are divided by the muslin strands, the third circle of ten canes are black with yellow star centres, the inner dark canes with brown centres these are around a single cane.  The weight is 2 5/16” in diam and was bought at Truro May 1957

Any help is appreciated kindest regards Jos

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Strathness paperweight?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 10:16:35 AM »
Welcome to the board. Base shots and profiles are usually requested for such IDs please. And bigger photos too. Use a high-res photo but resize it so the longest dimension is about 700 pixels.

If that purchase date is correct, it is a Vasart I think.
http://www.btinternet.com/~kevh.glass/pages/vas-strath/vas-strath.htm#Vasart

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 04:51:39 PM »
I think the purchase date might be wrong - this looks like a typical Strathearn spoked paperweight. Strathearn started business in 1965. They used some of the workers, canes and most of the designs used by earlier makers.

A good starting point would be Richard More's fantastic site which shows examples of Ysart brothers, Vasart and Strathearn paperweights made between 1946 and 1980.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 12:49:50 AM »
As Chrsitine says, additional photos would be useful.

As well as a full profile view, I would like to see two photos of the base - one as a straight-on view showing the whole base and the other as an angled view showing the way the central area looks.

I agree that the overall look of the pattern, and the canes and twist type, appears to be a regular, daily production Strathearn. And if the date of purchase was say, 1967, rather than 1957, it would tie up a bit better. But if 1957 is correct, the additional photos may show something that could be of academic importance (to me at least)!
KevinH

Offline Jos

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
The date is certainly an anomaly as almost all of Grandad's weights were purchased after 1971. Having read back through his notes I believe he has transposed the 5 and 7 as the weights being purchased around it are in 1975.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 01:43:22 AM »
OK - if it's 1975 then it puts it in the middle of the Strathearn period of paperweight production (1965 to 1980) which ties in very well with the pattern and overall look of the weight. :thup:
KevinH

Offline Jos

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 08:37:50 AM »
Thanks for that, any clues as to approximate value ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand