No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paul Ysart paperweights  (Read 3804 times)

Offline samantha_t87

• Members
Paul Ysart paperweights
« on: January 12, 2011, 02:17:17 PM »
Hello, I have a few questions about a Paul Ysart paperweight that I have been given.

I was given this about 12 years ago when my Grandmother past away.  I was thinking of selling it on Ebay, but am completely clueless as to what it may cost. 

Here is the link to the pictures on my flickr account:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/shtaylor/

I think there is a fault on one of the flower petals.  I have read somewhere that all faulty PY paperweights were usually destroyed, so having a small imperfection may actually make it more rare?  That may have just been nonsense though, I don't know.

Thank you for any help. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Paul Ysart paperweights
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 03:26:29 PM »
Hi and welcome! :hi:
I don't know about how many bits with small imperfections are around, but if you want an idea of prices, have a search on ebay and "watch" any PY weights to see what they go for.
You definitely have one with the all-important PY cane, I wouldn't worry about the flaw - it doesn't detract in any way whatsoever - it just looks like a petal from a daisy flew in! There are others here who can tell you more.

Very nice images, btw!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 06:15:31 PM »
Hi

I must disagree concerning the fault. I know a lot of Ysart collectors and I for one would not wish to add a weight with that sort of fault to my collection.

It would hit me every time I looked at it.

Regards

Roy

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 06:44:47 PM »
Can you tell, I'm really and truly not a pw collector. ????????

(despite having more than the "3 it needs to make a collection" - I just do not have the correct mentality for them.  :24:  When you mention being "hit" by one - I immediately think of it in terms of a weapon.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline samantha_t87

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 07:27:04 PM »
Thank you all for your comments.

I had a look at Ebay and at the moment there is only one up for Auction and the others are 'Buy it now' ranging from 189 - 349. 

Can anyone suggest a reasonable starting price for this particular paperweight.  I don't know what Paul Ysart collectors are looking for.  I don't want to start at 0.99 and not get enough for it and I don't want to ask a ridiculous price for it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Oh, and thanks for the compliment on the images!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 07:35:48 PM »
These PY cane weights are highly collectable - your "daisy petal" is clearly visible, your pics good.
I think they really are things which tend to reach their own price on ebay.

You can still watch the bits on ebay - see which ones do sell?

I found the reference number for your weight here (unless the colour of the flower makes it different????)

http://ysartglass.com/PaulYsart/PYP2021.htm

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 10:13:40 PM »
Hello Samantha, welcome to the GMB.

Both Sue and Roy have given valid points - from different perspectives. Sue is constantly developing her interest in paperweights (:thup:) and Roy is a legend amongst collectors of Ysart (and also a few Whitefriars!!) weights :sun:.

My own view about your weight is that the defects (the white on one petal and also the split cane at the top of the central element) are distracting but it is the sort of weight that gives many collectors the chance to have a signed Paul Ysart weight without paying the full (and often very high) cost of a perfect example.

As far as I am aware it was generally true that Paul Ysart would not release something that he felt was substandard. However, I have seen several of his weights that have some form of defect but for which he clearly did not feel the need to destroy it. In purely statistical terms, yes, a poor Paul Ysart weight is rare.

When it comes to pricing for resale of Paul Ysart items, both perfect and flawed, this is difficult to comment on for many reasons. In this instance, you will need to trust the buyers (eBay or regular auction house) and allow the weight to find its own price. You could set a reserve that you feel could be reasonable and see if it sells or not. If it does not, then lower the reserve and try again. I would expect your weight to make more than ÂŁ200 but how much more would be up to those interested in it.

Examples of many Paul Ysart weights, with the actual sale prices can be viewed in the Past Sales section of Selman Auctions (US-based outlet): http://selman.com/pwauction/cat_past.html

Click on any link in that page then search for “ysart” within each auction. A close match to your weight (but with the py cane in the design rather than in the base) is Summer 2007, Lot 98. This sold for $800 hammer price. A flawed example was in Spring 2008, Lot 172 where the ground is poorly finished, and yet it still sold for $750 (after failing to sell in a previous auction).
KevinH

Offline samantha_t87

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 08:47:24 AM »
Thank you all so much for your help!

I think I will put it onto Ebay with a reserve price of 200 and see what happens from there.

Thanks again

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 10:22:06 AM »
Don't set your starting price at ÂŁ200; you want to tempt people to find out what your reserve is.

Offline samantha_t87

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 11:51:10 AM »
Yeah, I know.  Thanks for the tip.  I am setting my reserve price at 200 like I said above.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand