No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness Luckenbooth Brooch w/Ysart Stone?  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
Caithness Luckenbooth Brooch w/Ysart Stone?
« on: January 15, 2011, 04:20:08 AM »
Came across this brooch earlier this week on a getaway to the shore.  The photos are not very good but a trip to a jeweler today revealed the markings to be an anchor, lion (passant), and a ???? (V or W as best I could tell even with 10x magnification).  The CG is very clear as is the number "1" below the C.  Using the Ysart Glass site, I believe this is a Caithness Luckenbooth silver brooch with what I hope is a Paul Ysart stone. :X:  I'm also curious about the number 1.  Any and all information is very much appreciated, as always.   

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-14968

Lily  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Caithness Luckenbooth Brooch w/Ysart Stone?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 08:27:56 PM »
Assuming the hallmark (Birmingham) is either V or W then that indicates that the "stone" was 99% likely to have been made by Paul Ysart. Paul left Caithness during 1971.

For some more info, in a message from 2006, initially discussing Caithness Thimbles, I made the following comments:
A lot of the confusion (and mis-information on eBay listings) derives from the fact that after Paul Ysart had left Caithness, there were still many of his paperweight stones available and these were not exhausted until about 1973. This had been mentioned by both Colin Terris and Peter Holmes.

The same point applies to Peter Holmes' stones where supplies would have been available to Caithness for a while after he had also left.

So, putting definite start and end dates to the use of these paperweight stones is unwise - apart from the examples with an accompanying 1970 hallmark, of course.

For later Caithness versions (i.e. stones not made by Paul or Peter) the visual aspects are enough to tell them apart. But Peter's work was very much like Paul's and so it is often difficult to be sure about whose stone was set in a piece made from 1971 to 1973 (and maybe a bit later). Only a comparison against a known example or a personal confirmation from Peter would really prove the case.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 10:09:44 PM »
Thank you, KevH, for your information.

Before posting, I searched the GMB for all references to Ysart stones/caithness jewelry and read your posts as well as any others.  A visit to the Ysart Glass site was also helpful.  Unfortunately, I've done so much looking that now it's hard to recall what I saw where. :-\  What I do not recall seeing or reading about is any reference to a number such as the "1" on the back of my brooch.  Do you have any thoughts regarding this number and its meaning?

Lily  :)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 06:04:02 PM »
Sorry, I have no information about "numbers below the "CG".
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 01:58:03 AM »
Bummer!

Lily :'(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand