No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bimi? ID  (Read 5790 times)

shugdens

Re: Bimi? ID
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 03:57:06 PM »
Bimini glass is incredibly fine and delicate - and mostly miniature.
 :D
I knew Hebrew is a much more straightforward language than english - when I was studying reading development and disorders, I found a fascinating paper on dyslexia in Hebrew schools and compared it with the findings in english. There were several proposed sub-types of dyslexia from english cognitive psychology  :-X
researchers (something I did not agree with - they do not study the brain or it's growth and development). As these subtypes were not found in Hebrew, the proposed subtypes were an artifact of the stupid and irreglar features of the english language, and of poor reading skills, not evidence of lots of different sorts of dyslexia.

This gave me the freedom to discuss the problems from the proper perspective - that of brain development. :rah:

II've never herd of dyslexia in hebrew, english is a silly language. I think the rebelion on txt speak shows this. dyalects & the break down of queens english also shows this.

I'll get my money back for it on the market tomorow, I was hoping for £10 for it if it was murano

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 06:57:41 PM »
I have a couple of pieces with the same label as the pink flower I provided the link to and the labels read "Made in Italy".  I believe these pieces are made in Italy but not Murano as the company would like for you to believe.  I think Anita has done some research on this type of glass and their labels but was never able to pin point where exactly in Italy the glass is made for certain. There are so many glass producers in Italy. 

Here is a better pic of the label on another flower I found.  http://cgi.ebay.com/LAVORAZIONE-ARTE-MURANO-SHADED-BLUE-HAND-BLOWN-FLOWER-/300513183580?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f7fb475c

tam bam

shugdens

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 08:32:46 PM »
I have a couple of pieces with the same label as the pink flower I provided the link to and the labels read "Made in Italy".  I believe these pieces are made in Italy but not Murano as the company would like for you to believe.  I think Anita has done some research on this type of glass and their labels but was never able to pin point where exactly in Italy the glass is made for certain. There are so many glass producers in Italy. 

Here is a better pic of the label on another flower I found.  http://cgi.ebay.com/LAVORAZIONE-ARTE-MURANO-SHADED-BLUE-HAND-BLOWN-FLOWER-/300513183580?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f7fb475c

tam bam
I had a beautiful rainbow glass plate by this company some years ago, it had a  LAVORAZIONE ARTE MURANO sticker to it. i have a photo of it somewhere. it stayed in my own collection for a while.

shugdens

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 08:36:30 PM »
I had a beautiful rainbow glass plate by this company some years ago, it had a  LAVORAZIONE ARTE MURANO sticker to it. i have a photo of it somewhere. it stayed in my own collection for a while.
If anyone is a facebook friend of Dominic Fonde the excellent glass artist & blower, there is a photo of the piece behind two of his vases on his facebook page.

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 09:47:52 PM »
I'll check that out.  Thanks, Shugdens. 

tam bam

shugdens

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 12:33:37 AM »
I'll check that out.  Thanks, Shugdens.  

tam bam
My mistake the rainbow plate was ''La Arte Murano'' but I remember there was also a small bowl in the lot labled LAVORAZIONE ARTE MURANO agin it had the adventurine like the flower has. I think its in a photo I have on my ebay page.

Please do check Dominics work hes a great glass artist, I think hes back working in the UK again, in Scotland. Hes been working in Singapore for a few years.

Its not there but the plate is, as well as 3 Perthshire perfume bottles & I think a Kralik vase & an Alum Bay vase. It was taken about 3 years ago.
http://members.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=erotix-ku

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 02:42:47 PM »
I agree with Tami that this is one of the pieces that often carry the Lavorazione Arte Murano label. The way the color swirls in the piece is like ones I've seen a lot. I was able to track a few of the pieces that have this label to Naples, but it may be that the glass comes from a variety of places. I just consider the label a generic one that means "art glass made in the style of Murano."

Many of the snake-footed flower vases come out of Oklahoma in the US. These tend to be more gawdy.

Bimini glass is impossibly fine and delicate. One always knows when they are handling Bimini. I don't buy it because it feels like it is going to break without any provocation at all. Much too fragile for me!
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

shugdens

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 06:17:12 PM »
I agree with Tami that this is one of the pieces that often carry the Lavorazione Arte Murano label. The way the color swirls in the piece is like ones I've seen a lot. I was able to track a few of the pieces that have this label to Naples, but it may be that the glass comes from a variety of places. I just consider the label a generic one that means "art glass made in the style of Murano."

Many of the snake-footed flower vases come out of Oklahoma in the US. These tend to be more gawdy.

Bimini glass is impossibly fine and delicate. One always knows when they are handling Bimini. I don't buy it because it feels like it is going to break without any provocation at all. Much too fragile for me!

Could it be a company based in Italy having there glass made overseas?

I know the Bimini animals & have had tons of them, I love them but they dont last long...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand