No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: my Christmas prezzy  (Read 3733 times)

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
my Christmas prezzy
« on: January 15, 2011, 04:57:55 PM »
I saw this on ebay just before Christmas, good ole mum agreed to buy it for me for chrizzy.

It was described as a "Capricorn figure", it looked well worth a punt at £25.00 inc. post.

As you can see its signed Archemedo Seguso Murano,
surprised me as there was no mention of a signature.

I've not come across the AS signature before, I no signatures can be a bit of a minefield, I hope its good
please bare in mind I have dusted the sig. with cornflower to help it show up.

The seller bought it in Venice in 86.

At first I thought it a shame that it wasn't in coloured glass , but after a while the clear crystal works well for me.

Has anyone come across this model before, I know I haven't

while I'm on, does anyone have any advise on photographing clear glass ? I get in a mess with the light reflecting.

martin

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
Re: my Christmas prezzy
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 09:58:54 PM »
Wow, that's quite a set of horns on your goat, Martin! :pb:  I bet your Christmas present shows beautifully in light.  Wish there was something knowledgeable I could add to this post but, like you, I'll just have to wait for others to post their thoughts/observations. 

I hope you gave your mom a big hug!

Lily ;D

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 11:55:27 PM »
Wonderful ram's head. This signature was used on Archimede's more artistic glass from the 1970s on. You have the right idea for photographing clear glass -- darker background with filtered light shining on the object. The horns make your ram particularly hard to capture. So much is going on in such a small space. I think you did a good job. Now, if you should ever want your ram in the Murano Zoo, just email me the picture along with your full name and he'll be in there fast. (Begging does not become me, I know.)
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 02:30:48 PM »
Woweee!! Nice ram you have there, Martin.  I bet you were surprised when you saw the signature.  I would have been also. AS's crystal glass is superior.  I bought an elephant in crystal last week (AS piece with label).  The detail in your ram is hard to make out, but I can tell one of his better glass masters made your ram.  I know you are very proud of it.  I would be too.

tam bam

Offline soledivo

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 04:07:35 PM »
thanks all,

Anita I will send it to you, I want to experiment with the lighting 1st, see if I can do better with the photography  :chky:
martin

Offline soledivo

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 06:28:56 PM »
Tam, any chance of seeing your elephant ?  pleeeze   :kissy:
martin

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 10:40:02 PM »
When I photograph clear glass I like the results I get with the following method.
Use a white background and a small piece of card to shade the item you are photographing. The idea being that light passes through the object to get to the camera rather than reflecting off the outer surface, this reduces any glare. Like this polar bear and goblet. Take several photos with varying levels of shade (move your bit of card up and down!) and choose the photo you like best.
Using a dark backround does work but sometimes the contrast results in some glare as with this vase.

John

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 11:55:53 PM »
Hi Soledivo - nice find. What size is it?

Great Christmas pressy.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline soledivo

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 02:23:54 AM »
Ardy its 16.5cm high,
I'm not at home at the mo. I forgot to do width and depth measurements,
 I'll post them later today when I'm home.

John, that is invaluable advise, many thanks  :hiclp: :hiclp:

I have just looked at your Picasso albums John,
superb photography,  :thup:
martin

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 01:55:53 PM »
I will post my elephant as soon as it arrives.  It should be in my hands any day now.  Hopefully, it will arrive intact.  Keep your fingers crossed for me. 

tam bam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand