No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian spoon rests?  (Read 386 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline neilh

  • Members
  • **
  • Posts: 318
Victorian spoon rests?
« on: January 15, 2011, 09:02:25 PM »
Hi folks,

I am seeking an opinion as to what these items are from the Molineaux Webb pressed glass catalogue - to the right and left of the plate. This particular page from the catalogue shows a number of early pressed glass plates circa 1840, and the odd 2 out are these shell-like things.

I have long puzzled over what they were - just a slightly different type of plate, or another object entirely.

This week I've been reading "American Glass Cup Plates" by Ruth Webb Lee & James H. Rose. A passage caught my attention. They were describing how the early cup plates were used as coasters. You would drink your tea by pouring in to a saucer and the cup, which often had no handles, would be placed on the cup plate coaster.

Lee & Rose commented that it was unknown where the spoon would have to be placed. There often wasn't room for it on the plate and you wouldn't soil the tablecloth with it.

So that got me thinking - could these 2 odd plates actually be spoon rests, to place your wet spoons?

Does this sound plausable or am I barking up the wrong tree? Has anyone ever seen a piece of glass of this type?


Look for glass on
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Look for glass on (us)
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand