No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small colourful bubbly vase, signed (but by whom?) ID = Jindra Beranek, Austria  (Read 7528 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
This vase (height appr. 17cm) is made of bubbly glass with multicolour inlays and has a polished base.
It has a signature which I cannot read -- "J. B......."
Reminds of the "J. Beranek" signature on my blue vase http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,37625.0.html, but I would never read "Beranek" here...

Thanks,
Michael

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Small colourful bubbly vase, signed (but by whom?)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 07:16:42 PM »
Better pic of signature :)

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 09:36:34 PM »
I am pretty sure it is a Jindrich Beranek signature, who left Skrdlovice glassworks as a young man for Austria to run his own studio and is still there I believe,
as per your last post on the subject, interesting to see more of his work!

Robert (bOBA)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 09:49:47 PM »
I am pretty sure it is a Jindrich Beranek signature, who left Skrdlovice glassworks as a young man for Austria to run his own studio and is still there I believe,
as per your last post on the subject, interesting to see more of his work!

Robert (bOBA)

....all I wanted to say is that I saw somewhere these types of bubbles described as "Foamy Bubbles" or "Foamy Air bubbles" as a descriptive word when one Googles things in.  Makes a difference how one enters/describes the bubbles...  :)  That is all I wanted to say here...

I think bOBA is right about everything   :thup:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 11:05:42 PM »
Robert, thank you once again for your contribution!
I suspected it would be the same J. Beranek signature, just wasn't very readable this time (and looked a little different in the manner it is engraved). Here is a link to a page where these signatures are depicted, but claiming they belonged to the Beranek/Skrdlovice company. http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/marka-c.htm

It is interesting that quite a few of these J. Beranek-signed items are found here in Vienna (I have seen 2 more on the fleamarket last week, I know an antique shop which has a yellow version of my blue vase, and Dusan has some in his gallery, too).
Isn't this quite unusual for a studio glass artist to be so widely distributed? What about the rumour these were produced by Lobmeyr?

@ Rose: thanks for your suggestion, I will remember the next time to call this "foamy" :)

Michael

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 11:33:05 PM »
Documentation of the career of Jindrich Beranek is not well documented or widely understood across the world of glass collectors. Research about Skrdlovice is still emerging. Since you live in the country where, although of Czech origin, he spent most of his career, you may be better placed to contact local glass collectors to find out more, than I am in the UK. It is the fact he his glassmaking not been covered in detail in books etc.. coupled with the fact that his cousin Jan at Skrdlovice was hidden working inside of a communist run state for most of his life (and that glassmasters did not do a lot of glass signing in that country during that time, even if they often designed as well as blew glass which was unusual) means that documented signed pieces of both have often been confused and the value of Jan beranek pieces means there has probably been an "optimistic" tendancy to interpret J. beranek signatures as Jindrich ones. The whole picture is still yet to emerge and researching the career of Jindrich Beranek would be a useful and interesting exercise since he did work and train as a young man with his relative, the legendary founder of Skrdlovice (father of Jan) Emanuel....  I have read documents I cannot trace, that Jindrich some time during the 1970's, was contracted to produce quite a bit of glass for Lobmeyr, possibly when he produced the lovely replicas of Emanuel Beranek Skrdlovice 1950's small round vases. I am aware that a couple are being sold as such on ebay.de but I have read elsewhere in some catalogue that he did produce for Lobmeyr.

I hope your enthusiastic collecting continues, it is interesting glass!

Robert (bOBA)

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 02:02:41 PM »
Just a small correction, Jindrich is the brother not cousin of Jan Beranek, all these J. Beraneks do get confusing!

Robert (bOBA)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 08:11:18 PM »
Thank you very much, Robert, for sharing your knowledge!
I guess this is Austrian glass then rather than Czech :)

I will look around if I see more pieces, and eventually ask if some seller knows more about it.
Unfortunately my contacts to other glass collectors are non existent apart from this board...

Found another J. Beranek signed item in the webgallery of one of the members here (sorry, cant remeber whose gallery this is):
http://picasaweb.google.com/exat212/204#

Greetings from Vienna
Michael

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 06:23:33 AM »
I'm not sure it means anything but there is a Graham Cooley (gc), whose collection was featured in hi sklo lo sko. I wonder.

Rose, you're right about bOBA always being right. I'm not so sure about this being foamy glass. I would reserve that description for the mass of tiny bubbles that are created when kerosene is added to a a pot of liquid glass.

Rocco: you are finding some very interesting pieces. I'm wondering if my decision to come to Maui for a couple of weeks rather than search for glass in, say, Vienna, was the right one. Oh well, back outside to watch the stars and finish my wine.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 07:46:12 AM »
Hi Michael,
I suppose you can help us with improving knowledge about Jindrich Beranek.
Jindrich did escape to Austria in 60ties and he had broken all contacts with his family in Skrdlovice. His parents could not forgive him that he left all large family in troubles and in communistic persecusion. As far as I know the realationship between brothers Jan and Jindrich was partialy recovered in late 90ties again.
So from Czech end of wire we cannot much more information about Jindrich career in Austria, it has to be done from the other side, from Austrian end of wire.

Jindrich Beranek lives in  Bad Tatzmannsdorf near Wien. He had his glass also studio there. Can you please take a look to Austrian yellow pages and find his phone number? He used also name Jindra Beranek. Please send me it to my mail that is displayed at my web site.
I will call him and try to get some more information from him, or you can do it as well, but please come back and share your discoverings with us.

Jindrich
www.cs-sklo.cz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand