No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small colourful bubbly vase, signed (but by whom?) ID = Jindra Beranek, Austria  (Read 7549 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Small colourful bubbly vase, signed (but by whom?)
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 10:17:21 AM »
Jindrich, thank you so much for your infos on Jindra Beranek!
I will send you an e-mail with the data I can find...

And I will surely buy - and share with you - any other item by him I can find (at an affordable price :)).

Michael

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 09:58:47 PM »

Rose, you're right about bOBA always being right. I'm not so sure about this being foamy glass. I would reserve that description for the mass of tiny bubbles that are created when kerosene is added to a a pot of liquid glass.

David

Thanks David -- I just meant that there is clearly a difference in (clear) shaped bubbles and the bubbles in this vase.  It may not be the proper description for Glass Professionals -- but just another *descriptive* word one could/can use when googling different Search words in.  We all know, Google is only as good as we try to *explain* what we are looking for.  It might be just another *tag* word that helps to pull up some info.

When I google -- I try to put an many different combination of descriptions of something.  I (try) to think it may be described as -- then I also think to think outside-the-box as to what someone else *may use* to describe something.  All I wanted to mention/say the use of words when I was looking for something -- so not sure if it was the correct description -- but it was how some other site had described these types of bubbles.

Clearly different bubbles shapes on this item (than on Murano items)......so I guess these are a whole different breed of bubbles shapes when it comes to Google....

:24: :thud:

I was just throwing that out there, as sometimes even The Google World can be a hard place to find any info on a piece of glass.  Lord knows, I am still hunting for the Smokey Black Heavy Vase of mine -- and I have not *hit* the right descriptive words..................Yet

:ho: but still  :X: . 

Just like some of the signature I have found.  The glass item gave me no clue -- but then I tried to Google what I thought I could See --- and then tried to Google what I thought I could Not see.  Then lucked out.....LOL

My Brain is Frozen here at - 40 below...... :nk: lol
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 01:54:59 AM »
Rose:

Sorry to sound so niggly Rose. I think the rain in Vancouver was getting to me, just as the cold was "freezing your brain." However, I've solved the problem by going off to Maui. I feel much better now, thank you.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 07:57:23 PM »
Did you at least bring us back some macademia nuts, Langhaugh/David? Or at least some  :sun:

Carolyn

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 08:53:30 PM »
If there are any macademia nuts left when I leave in a couple of weeks, I'll bring them. I seem to have more difficulty transporting the sunshine. But sunshine isn't a rarity in Calgary, is it? Maui, Calgary , what's the difference that  60 degrees F and a few Palm trees couldn't eliminate?

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 09:19:09 PM »
If there are any macademia nuts left when I leave in a couple of weeks, I'll bring them. I seem to have more difficulty transporting the sunshine. But sunshine isn't a rarity in Calgary, is it? Maui, Calgary , what's the difference that  60 degrees F and a few Palm trees couldn't eliminate?

David

We can live without the palm trees. It's those 60 degrees that we really, really miss  :mus:  ;)

Carolyn

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Old thread, but I found another signed Jindra Beranek vase (a really nice one) which I'd like to share...
This vase has an interesting feature -- backlit the coloured blobs are pink and purple, while when light is reflected there is a sort of neon-green shine to them.

I use to see quite a lot of signed J. Beranek pieces here, there seem to be two styles: quite distinctive studio-glass-style items with lots of air bubbles and coloured streaks and blobs like the ones in this thread; and other pieces which are rather plain and simply mimic 1950s Skrdlovice shapes. (I do prefer the first ones :))

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
That is lovely, Michael.  

While in Austria, did Jindrich Beranek 'mimic' Skrdlovice designs?  Maybe he was creating what was familiar to him?  I've got a Jindrich Beranek Skrdlovice vase which is one of my favourites -- calm, plain, yet sophisticated and masculine. Jindrich Beranek Skrdlovice

But I do like your Austrian bubbly bits too.  

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Thanks, Anik!
This one is my favourite from my four-piece collection :)

The pieces which seem to be inspired by Skrdlovice designs are like my blue vase, the one Sergio posted, and I have seen other single coloured hot worked vases with pulled lobes etc.
I suspect that the Jindrich Beranek who went to Austria is not the same Jindrich Beranek who designed for Skrdlovice in the 1950s (but I may be completely wrong)

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
I believe he is the same Jindrich Beranek.  In Sergio's post, Robert (bOBA) mentions that before emigrating to Austria, Jindrich did make a few designs at Skrdlovice in the mid-50s. :)

I do wish I could find one of his bubbly pieces, though. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand