No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID plz. Glass candle sticks - ID = Feigl & Morawitz / Libochovice  (Read 11203 times)

Offline jeanniegal

• Members
  • Live and let live
Re: ID plz. Glass candle sticks
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 08:32:52 PM »
 :D :D

i think thats it both are on :thup:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 10:52:11 PM »
That second one still looks frosted Jeanniegal as you can't see the table clearly behind it - are the bits between the ridges like a cloudy white rather than completely clear glass?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jeanniegal

• Members
  • Live and let live
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 12:42:33 AM »
That second one still looks frosted Jeanniegal as you can't see the table clearly behind it - are the bits between the ridges like a cloudy white rather than completely clear glass?
yes between the ridges its cloudy/frosted and its heavier more like crystal glass.What doyou think Anne is one an imitation of the other?

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 12:56:08 PM »
No I don't think so, I think these are both made by the same firm;  t'other Anne said above, "Libochovice Glassworks, patt.no.1691." which is true as they are shown in the 1950s Libochovice catalogue as such, but the Reg Design no dates from 1934 registered by Heppner Ltd (who were agents not manufacturers, as Bernard also says above.)

In 1934 the company wasn't Libochovice (which was a post-war Sklo Union factory name - i.e. part of the state owned glass conglomeration marketed under the Sklo Union name). It was then Feigl & Morawitz (info courtesy of Sklo Union Art Before Industry: 20th Century Czech Pressed Glass, by Marcus Newhall) and so far we have seen only one earlier (from the 1920s) catalogue for them.

As to numbers not being on every piece of a pattern, David C Watts, author of Glassmaking in London, explained to me last year that in his experience only around 1 in 4 moulds carried the RD no information.  Bernard has also told us elsewhere on the board that some wholesale or retail customers didn't want anything on the pieces they bought to indicate who had made it, and the glassworks were always willing to oblige in the interest of a sale.

Variations could well have been made in glass and possibly crystal for different customers and not all those variants are shown in catalogues. Regular lines would be of course, but if something was made just for one buyer then it may not show up anywhere else.

F&M / Libochovice are known to have made a wide range of glass from fairly basic utility glass to high quality well-finished glassware so anything's possible. My opinion (for what it's worth!) is that both your items are genuine but I can't prove it as yet.

Offline jeanniegal

• Members
  • Live and let live
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 03:17:38 PM »
No I don't think so, I think these are both made by the same firm;  t'other Anne said above, "Libochovice Glassworks, patt.no.1691." which is true as they are shown in the 1950s Libochovice catalogue as such, but the Reg Design no dates from 1934 registered by Heppner Ltd (who were agents not manufacturers, as Bernard also says above.)

In 1934 the company wasn't Libochovice (which was a post-war Sklo Union factory name - i.e. part of the state owned glass conglomeration marketed under the Sklo Union name). It was then Feigl & Morawitz (info courtesy of Sklo Union Art Before Industry: 20th Century Czech Pressed Glass, by Marcus Newhall) and so far we have seen only one earlier (from the 1920s) catalogue for them.

As to numbers not being on every piece of a pattern, David C Watts, author of Glassmaking in London, explained to me last year that in his experience only around 1 in 4 moulds carried the RD no information.  Bernard has also told us elsewhere on the board that some wholesale or retail customers didn't want anything on the pieces they bought to indicate who had made it, and the glassworks were always willing to oblige in the interest of a sale.

Variations could well have been made in glass and possibly crystal for different customers and not all those variants are shown in catalogues. Regular lines would be of course, but if something was made just for one buyer then it may not show up anywhere else.

F&M / Libochovice are known to have made a wide range of glass from fairly basic utility glass to high quality well-finished glassware so anything's possible. My opinion (for what it's worth!) is that both your items are genuine but I can't prove it as yet.

:thup: thankyou and very interesting.....

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
Libochovice 1690 - 1694 trinket set Dubarry
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 10:55:22 PM »
Thought Anne in particular would like this picture of my Libochovice trinket set which I have at last completed.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Libochovice Trinket set
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 01:58:08 AM »
Oh that is gorgeous!!! Thank you for sharing your picture. I have most of the set in clear, but the blue is fab!

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • Trinket Sets, Uranium, Varied,
    • England, UK
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 01:54:52 PM »
Ohh lovely! Jealous! :)
Please help identify Mystery Glass Trinket Sets
https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/Gallery/

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 12:49:16 PM »
Again Pamela if you would like to use this picture on your website you are welcome. I can give you more detailed ones if you would like.  :)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 06:08:52 PM »
Thank you, Angela - pretty set and I shall use this photo too  :)

It's on Newhall CD L. before 1958 items #1690 - 1694

Is your set also marked 796007 (importer's registration?) white candlestick holder

:-*
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand