No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Riihimaki vase?  (Read 8569 times)

Offline vanmann

• Members
Riihimaki vase?
« on: January 17, 2011, 02:39:06 PM »
I bought this blue vase thinking that it may be a Tamara Aladin design but cannot trace one in this pattern at this height (28 cms). The nearest I found was a pattern 1379 but that appears to be only 25cms. Any thoughts will be much appreciated. Thanks JOHN

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Riihimaki vase?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 03:21:45 PM »
Riihimäki is a correct attribution.

Offline vanmann

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 03:39:13 PM »
Thanks Ivo, I was just worried about height and also it was unsigned, John

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 04:49:26 PM »
Interesting enough - I have noticed the export models from Riihimäki that time where usually produced in either heights 16/18/22/28 cm or 20/25/30 cm but this model - which by the way has not been officially attributed to Tamara Aladin although often sold as one - seems to have been produced in both series of heights.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 06:15:31 PM »
Riihimäki is rarely signed, very occasionally it may have an acid etched mark of a Lynx on the base. Of around forty or fifty bits I have bought over the years only one was signed (this one) and a small vase had the acid etched mark.

John

Offline robert1960

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 10:51:11 PM »
Yes, definitely Riihimaki, never signed in this size.

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 04:48:59 AM »
Just for the record; this model has now been officially attributed to Erkkitapio Siiroinen in the catalogue published this year for the exhibition of his work in Riihimäen Lasimuseo.
They mention since the Riihimäen Lasi 100 years book was published (with a catalogue of Siiroinen's work) they had found some photographs to be able to identify a couple additions, this is one.

Offline kisslikeether

• Members
    • 20th Century Scandianvian
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 07:16:25 AM »
The non Riihimaki variants of this are easy to spot (Reijmyre) as their base is ridged concentric circles.

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 07:26:38 PM »
The non Riihimaki variants of this are easy to spot (Reijmyre) as their base is ridged concentric circles.

Really? Since I am quite unfamiliar with Reijmyre and I know many Riihimäen vases do occur with concentric circles I would be curious to hear more. Would you mind specifying "the non Riihimäki variants of this"  please ?  :)

Offline kisslikeether

• Members
    • 20th Century Scandianvian
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 07:38:46 AM »
The only info I have is from pg 264 of Miller's collectable price guide which shows a pale lime green vase (Not a Riihimaki colour) and the base with the concentric circles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand