No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pale Aqua blue bubbly (efeso type/random) triangular bowl  (Read 1119 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Pale Aqua blue bubbly (efeso type/random) triangular bowl
« on: January 17, 2011, 04:47:39 PM »
I've been all round the houses on this one and so far I've not come up with even which country  ::)
I thought perhaps Nazeing Bubbly range hence my previous question, as the effect looks very similar to a cylinder shape vase in 20th century British Glass page 106.  But I'm not sure of the colour nor the pontil mark which is left rough but smoothed, not sharp.
The bubble effect is very similar to Peill and Putzler I think but the one without the black bits in.  I found a piece in a turquoise ish blue that was a possible attribution to P&P  But then wouldn't it have had a polished pontil mark or ground base and be marked?  I also found a Theriesenthaler lead but I couldn't find anything to compare with.  The wear on the base is so extensive that if there were any marks they would have been worn away.
I'm pretty sure this isn't new.  It's very careworn,  but despite all this it looks fantastic.  The bubble effect is gorgeous.
The sides at base level curve gently round to the base, it's not been ground flat, and there may or may not have been a slight ground ring to ensure it sat flat.  I can't tell because of the base wear.  I did wonder if it might have been Italian maybe?  
Measures 7cm high and about 17.5cm at its widest.  Any avenues to explore much appreciated.
thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Pale Aqua blue bubbly (efeso type/random) triangular bowl
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 06:27:16 PM »
I would look at Biot first, then at Reijmyre. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 07:03:14 PM »
thanks Ivo!  I didn't look at Biot because I thought it was smaller bubbles and more widely spaced, but having just gone on the site, the colour seems to be a match and there is a pestle and bowl that appears (difficult to see as the pic wont enlarge) to be the same kind of bubble effect as my bowl.   So I think Biot is probably it.
I'm off to investigate Reijmyre now thinking about my pinched bottle vase that I thought might have been Hoglund.
thanks again.
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 07:48:53 PM »
if it has a blowpipe pontil mark (circular, rough but neat) then Biot it is. Reijmyre has a polished pontil mark.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 07:57:35 PM »
yes I should have said 'possibly' rather than 'probably', because I was just thinking about the pontil mark and mine is just sheared off smoothed down, but not smoothed neat.  So, back to base on that one I think.

The Reijmyre pontil mark is the same finish as my amber bubbled piece.  But I'm not sure about the base on that piece.  Having looked at a Reijmyre decanter I just think mine would have looked different somehow, something to do with the casing and the way it would look on the base is not quite right.

Well, it's always good to have something as an ongoing investigation ;D  thanks for your help though.  I'm not sure I'll ever find out who did these pieces.  I feel somehow that they both have markers that should be id'able but oddly they aren't.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 09:01:09 PM »
Actually, I'm coming back round to Biot on the blue bowl again.  The pontil mark is a little scuffed on one side but is basically a round shape.
Ivo, if you read this, did you see the thread on the lasisepat labels, that there are three of them and the information about the company?
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 09:11:55 PM »
nope, cannot recall any discussion about obscure fins. But here are one Reijmyre bottle and a Biot (not certain) water bottle showing the pontil mark. Even if the resolution is not great, maybe it gives you some inspiration.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 10:02:18 PM »
Hi Ivo

Thanks for the pics.  hmm, well I know what you mean about the Biot pontil mark and mine isn't quite so perfect, but with some latitude I think it would fit.   My amber pinched decanter doesn't seem to fit the Reijmyre bubble effect unfortunately.  It's much more of a 'Hoglund' type bubble effect ;D although I don't think it is.

Re Lasisepat
this is the early thread discussing the maker
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,18176.msg105089.html#msg105089
with a query that they weren't in the book you have

and this is last weeks where there are now three labels found for seemingly one and the same maker and some great extra info on them from Px
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6197.msg52835.html#msg52835

thanks
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 12:14:51 PM »
I broke my triangular bowl yesterday  ::) but it reminded me to add here that I'd seen it id'd positively as Biot having seen a signed Biot one the same.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 04:55:33 PM »
I saw a massive set of Biot stemmed glasses/tumblers and jug at the weekend - the colour looks just right! They were all marked "Biot" in acid etching, not a blow-pipe mark though.
(my first thought had been Mexican recycled.  :-[ )
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand