Author Topic: Double overlay lampwork with 'L' cane  (Read 1346 times)

Offline cfosterk

• Members
Re: Double overlay lampwork with 'L' cane
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 08:35:42 PM »
Had a closer look at the cane - seven blue/white seven point cog canes

Base is VERY fancy cut - most un-caithness-like.

http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l139/cfosterk/?action=view&current=DSCN1205.jpg

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 10:04:11 PM »
Hi all

I am not aware that there was ever a SGS collaboration between Allan Scott and Linda Campbell - the only two glassworkers that Allan worked with on SGS weights to my knowledge were Harry McKay and and Shiona Spittal.

I have many images of Lindas weights dating back to 2003 and all are signed either with a red L on a black cog background
or using the cane illustrated by Daveweight.

I have checked all my photos of J Glass weights and all of the sig canes have an upper bar to the "J"

The cane shown in the first picture of a J Glass sig cane is similar in construction to the "L" cane shown in picture 3
but many of the J glass weights also incorporated the date but all had the bar on top of the "J"

The mystery deepens !

Incidently the originator of this interesting string CSFOSTERK mentions a London location and is thinking of joining the NPS.
The PCC is much closer and the next meeting is on 5th March in Cambridge -  speaker Mayauel Ward. Why don't you come
along ! Just google PCC paperweights for more details. End of plug !

Best regards

Derek

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 10:41:41 PM »
London? bah!!!

A Yorkie born n bred....

The signature cane looks like an L but on close inspection could hint at an upper case bar.....

Allan Scott will know as I'm sure it's hid lampwork - just a matter of who and when he worked with....

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 01:36:15 PM »
It has been pointed out that the blue and white L cane I showed in my picture does not match exactly with the one in this weight but at first glance it seemed very similar. I have sent Allan Scott an Email about this so lets see if he comments
Dave

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 08:30:52 PM »
Thanks Dave - if Allan says its not him I'm gonna have a breakdown!

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 09:35:04 PM »
Hi all

I think I have solved the mystery !

I have checked through my pictures of J glass weights and come up with this picture -
Sorry this is the best resolution I have and its not good enough to show the cane

OK its 5+1 facets no overlay and a plain base rather than fancy but look at the lampwork
- virtually identical to the one that started the debate shown as the second image. Note
how the buds are constructed!

So I think we can safely say its J glass era and either Allan Scott lampwork or someone
he was working with at the time.

What is still uncertain is the cane - I have checked all my J glass photos and

a) There is not one where the J does not have a upper bar and
2) There is not one where the J cane has been reversed to make it into an "L"

We need Allan to comment  !

Best regards

Derek

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 09:08:44 PM »
Thanks Derek.

The weight you have illustrated is the referred to as "White Cherry Blossom" - a Deacons/Scott collaboration weight with J cane!!

Also illustrated in Robert Hall's Scottish Paperweights p130. Dimensions for this weight are 3.2" diameter, 2.1" high.

My weight is 3.1" diameter, 2" high - identical lampwork set-up allow the stamens are a little darker in colour.

Offline ALLAN

• Members
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 08:28:13 PM »
Hi All,
       Sorry for not replying for a while; I have been offline again. The weight is my lampwork done at Jay Glass. The cane is a "J" that has been put in the wrong way by mistake. It is the White Cherry design, we made a few different weights with the design, just for the hell of it >:D.

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 09:13:03 PM »
Thanks Allan...

It's a very fine overlay cup - your handy work or Johns? His JD and JHD stuff since 1993/94 usually have a slightly thicker double overlay!

I presume most Jay weights were sold via Selman into the USA?

Offline ALLAN

• Members
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 08:39:54 PM »
The overlay is all Johns work, Harry McKay was working with us then but most of the overlays were John. Certainly a lot of the 1981 onwards weights were sent to America but not all of them.

Allan

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand